Christmas Food

It doesn’t have to be home cooked, although that is welcome also.

Do you order party food at Christmas?..

Tell us what you are having to snack on/ eat ,through the Xmas period?

Do you tend to eat more?

Pictures of what some members have cooked, would be nice to see.i know it can be a very busy time,…:christmas_tree:

2 Likes

The only thing we eat only at Christmas is mince pies. I wonder why they’re seasonal and not a year round food?

1 Like

We always go for a selection of cheese truckles at Christmas, it’s traditional and they’re widely available in the shops :cheese: :christmas_tree:

1 Like

They certainly are , I just LOVE different cheeses, do you have a favourite cheese? mine is most definitely Stilton…I’m forever making broccoli and Stilton soup.served with homemade cheese scones.

1 Like

No idea Helen, I guess we can always make our own, throughout the year, I make homemade frangipane mince pies, .found a Nigella Lawson recipe online years ago, have always stuck to that recipe.:+1:

1 Like

My wife cooks. Salmon, turkey, gammon, loads of vegetables, ice cream, Christmas pie etc. The gang arrives in droves.

2 Likes

I bet they do, “ yum yum”…:+1:…I know your wife is a very good cook,:+1:

Just another Sunday roast in our house.

1 Like

Cheddar is definitely my favourite especially when flavoured with herbs or spices. I really need to be a tad more adventurous when it comes to cheeseboard this Christmas.

1 Like

[quote="Chilliboot, post:9, I really need to be a tad more adventurous when it comes to cheeseboard this Christmas.

Me too, cheese is darn expensive, oh well, it’s only once a year for me.

1 Like

Exactly Pauline, I’m not going to go mad, quality over quantity :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I remember as a kid that we used to have bowls of nuts around the house, and the endless fun using a nutcracker to get into them.

My mother used to work for the (East German) Leipzig Fair Agency, and used to be given a stollen cake from the East German Embassy each year. Those were delicious.

2 Likes

And roast chestnuts! Wonderful cooked on a small shovel on an open fire. Not an option at the moment so they’ll have to go on a solid baking tray in a hot oven.

2 Likes

Never cooked those ourselves, but used to love getting a bag to scoff on while (window) shopping on Oxford Street. Happy days, eh?

2 Likes

Thank you kindly, P3!
I forgot Trarmasalata - it is a dip we have with our starter.

1 Like

That has brought back memories, as well as the roasted chestnuts, that Chilli mentioned, …I loved cracking nuts as a teenager…

They are now on my shopping list, I love chestnuts.

1 Like

Oh I need one of these this year…M&S always did a wonderful one, but since they have abandoned my high street, I’ll need to get one elsewhere. Amazing cake :yum:

1 Like

Oh yes, those free standing barrel like braziers.
You could smell the fuel as well as the chestnuts, I’m sure it was coal, red hot.
Happy memories indeed!

2 Likes

Don’t forget to cut a cross across each and every nut, otherwise they have a tendency to explode :wink:

2 Likes