Choosing the right holiday insurance

My two friends went to Spain for 6 weeks , sadly her husband died while there , he had a fall and an ambulance called and he was taken to hospital , she with him in the ambulance . There was a lot of talk about their holiday insurance and talk of money to be paid up front, my friend knew they were covered and paid a certain amount as asked knowing the insurance company would cover it , sadly husband died 2 or 3 days later . During this awful time or just after my friend discovers the insurance does not cover them because they were taken to a private hospital and they were only covered for a public hospital . She has now arrived home alone to be bombarded with huge bills into the thousands and herself is ill in hospital .

I don’t know the ins and outs as only briefly chatted but I have heard of this happening before in other countries. Holiday insurance only covers for public hospitals, not private, and one should always insist on being taken to one and not private . What a terrible thing to happen .

Has anyone any more info on this ?

1 Like

I don’t know about the cover public/private but it is damn expensive now. Insurance for three weeks in Malaysia is half as much as the return air fare for pretty basic cover now that I am over 75.

Edit: Long after I wrote the above I was thinking about it and realised that surely as a foreigner whether you go to a public hospital or a private one you are a private patient anyway and will be charged as such. Certainly that would be the case in Australia (though as UK citizens we have a reciprocal arrangement with the NHS for you lot :blush:)

I can’t imagine that the costs in a public or private hospital as a private patient would be different. Perhaps I misunderstood what you are saying?