Choosing names for what we eat

Yep, I did know the origins of that phrase. I use that any time I am “chatting” back and forth in Hangouts as my own way of saying "cuddle down and sleep well ". Sounds kinda cute, “sleep tight”, and much better than “night, night”.:slightly_smiling_face:

Do you know why Sir winston Churchill during the war years went to bed with a rifle.
He was afraid of the Jerry (pee pot slang) (slang for a german) under his bed.

A pun on words

you got me going now
Do you know where the Irish keep their armies? they keep them up their sleevies

2 Likes

You are on a roll…just getting back on topic! :stuck_out_tongue:

I doubt that - they did not know how to cook anything properly until they had the good sense to marry one of their kings (Henry II) to Catherine de Medici. Apparently she was so appalled by their substandard food she sent home for a team of Italian chefs to teach them how it should be done! She also taught them ‘Dining Etiquette’ and introduced them to Italian Ice Cream.

1 Like

Just looked em up . No thanks .:frowning:

3 Likes

Apparently the flowery language is all down to the Normans…

2 Likes

Why do we say white meat or dark meat…?
it’s all because the victorians wouldn’t say leg breast or thigh for fear of embarrassing any ladies sat around the dinner table, hence white or dark meat…

2 Likes

While being served a cold chicken lunch in America, Churchill asked the hostess: “May I have some breast?”

“Mr Churchill,” she replied, “In this country we ask for white meat or dark meat.”

The next day Churchill had an orchid delivered to her, along with the message: “I would be obliged if you would pin this on your white meat.”

2 Likes

So were we more prudish or simply more modest at that time?

Well this is fascinating and yet another learning experience on this forum. I always thought all chicken and other poultry was white meat, but it turns out that it depends on the muscles as to whether it’s defined as such. So a breast may be white, but the leg red… something to do with the level of myoglobin, a protein found in the muscle cells of animals. The more of this stuff the meat has, the darker red it is.

2 Likes

@realspeed - That is racist! :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

Sirloin steak comes from king james ( can’t remember which one)
He was enjoying a loin steak so much that he knighted it,hence sirloin

2 Likes

It wasn’t until I came to Australia that I appreciated how nice a sausage can be, The British sausage was so full of bread than you never knew whether to fry or butter it.

It’s a mystery to me why sausages are called “snags” but there you go. Where would the world be without a Bunnings Snag on the weekend or a Democracy Sausage on voting day?

3 Likes

I refer to boiled eggs as… googy eggs and tomatoes as Tommie Georges!
Does that count?

1 Like

:nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

Oh boy! Sauteed in garlic and butter to perfection…Yumm :ok_hand:

IMO that’s a complete and utter waste of good butter :yes:

2 Likes

The thought of eating a snail makes me feel a little queasy .

4 Likes

The thought of eating a snail makes me feel a lot queasy, Muddy! :smile:

4 Likes