Choosing names for what we eat

Relative to another thread here, I am wondering why we call different foods by different categories…
We eat chicken
We eat fish

So why don’t we say we eat cow, or pig instead of saying beef or pork? And calamari, and escargot? Any ideas?

1 Like

It’s all online, information about it RN…I just looked up, why do we call cow beef…something to do with the French…not sure about the others, as I never looked them up,:wink:

2 Likes

I think in some cases we give food fancy names to make it more palatable. I guess it taste better if you say you ate escargot rather than I just had a plate of snails. Me I don’t care what you call it, there are certain foods that my mind gives a definite NO to. Rocky Mountain Oysters (Really) bout as far from seafood as you can get. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

This link gives a brief explanation

https://philosophy-question.com/library/lecture/read/195963-why-is-pork-called-pork

2 Likes

Ive just had a bit of rump…:joy::rofl:

2 Likes

Lucky you :+1::innocent:

2 Likes

Rump Steak…:wink:

1 Like

Yep I believe you :clown_face:

2 Likes

Always a tease, and I hope it continues. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks, Chillie, this explains it clearly. Although, why did all Europeans follow suit? Now, I wonder if the French were relied upon to name food, as they prepare tantalizing dishes so well. Was going to say “food for thought”, but I certainly know they were aren’t the only ones with a good thought! :blush:

1 Like

Another bit of useless information I tend to remember.

Do you know why sausages are called bangers? well apparently during the war years meat was scarce so to bulk them up they added water. When the Sausages were cooked they exploded due to the water content, hence the name “bangers” was born.

Bet you didn’t want to know that anyway

4 Likes

My guess certainly for Britain, is due to the Norman invasion a lot of French words got taken into the language

1 Like

All information is interesting in some way, especially if explaining more of the stranger naming of foods :+1:

1 Like

Bet I did! Being in the states, it’s a foreign word relating to sausages. Over here, a “banger” is an interlude of…er…oh, yeah, relating to sausages! Well, how about that?!? :innocent:

1 Like

bit off subject but do you know the origin of saying “sleep tight” ?

Back in the 1800’s and before bed frames were strung with ropes to sleep on. If one wanted the loose ropes to be made tight the landlord was paid to tighten the ropes by means of a bar of some sort then the bed was more comfortable to lie on

rope bed

told you I am full of useless information

2 Likes

Yep, I did know the origins of that phrase. I use that any time I am “chatting” back and forth in Hangouts as my own way of saying "cuddle down and sleep well ". Sounds kinda cute, “sleep tight”, and much better than “night, night”.:slightly_smiling_face:

Do you know why Sir winston Churchill during the war years went to bed with a rifle.
He was afraid of the Jerry (pee pot slang) (slang for a german) under his bed.

A pun on words

you got me going now
Do you know where the Irish keep their armies? they keep them up their sleevies

2 Likes

You are on a roll…just getting back on topic! :stuck_out_tongue:

I doubt that - they did not know how to cook anything properly until they had the good sense to marry one of their kings (Henry II) to Catherine de Medici. Apparently she was so appalled by their substandard food she sent home for a team of Italian chefs to teach them how it should be done! She also taught them ‘Dining Etiquette’ and introduced them to Italian Ice Cream.

1 Like