Chips (of the semiconductor type)

This is real power.

3,300 V

Just what I did for a living.

4 Likes

What were they used for?

Can you explain what that is, Besoeker?

@Besoeker , Looks like a controller for volts and amps to me Besoeker ??
Perhaps we can use it to replace these power supply companies that
are going broke at the moment ??:grin::grin:
Donkeyman! :+1::+1:

Mags, Pixie and Donkeyman

This was in a cement works. It’s for controlling the speed of an electric motor - a pretty large one. The disk is one semiconductor component of it. The generic term is variable speed drives. It’s a bit like a washing machine motor - but about 3,000 times larger…

2 Likes

Ooh that’s quite interesting! So how many did you use in one mixer?

Just one. And it was a fan. There were a few other larger units on that site Also fans. On some sites we had compressors that were about 7,000 kW. To put it in context a washing machine is typically 0.5 kW. Or 14,000 washing machines.

3 Likes

Wow, that’s impressive…! Thanks for putting in context, I didn’t have any idea of the sheer power involved :astonished:

Thanks for explaining @Besoeker :+1:

Thank you kindly, Pixie.
Well, I don’t suppose a lot of people would understand the scale - why would they even need to?
Just my forte I guess. And I enjoyed it - still do.

2 Likes

I’m all for people doing what they love!

Yes. I have been lucky I suppose. I have travelled the world more than many have experienced. Not all a bed of roses but that comes with the territory. Freezing in the frozen lakes and the Sahara desert at 40C. All good fun…

2 Likes

You must have some stories to tell, I bet!

Visitor, is this similar to the Dragline stuff that you worked with in South Africa?

Did a lot of things there. The earliest was a paper mill in Mondi Valley about 1976. There were others but mostly it was electric drives fot the gild mines.

1 Like

Oh ok. It all sounds very interesting and deadly when you compared to a washing machine!
Serious business- electric stuff!

I suppose it beat a guy on a fixed peddle cycle peddling faster or slower to drive a generator

Explosive environments, I believe. Did you have to take extra care with electrical motors & switches?

1 Like

There were explosives in the quarry. But not in the mill. Most of the environment industrial - IP44 for the most part. One of the main motors was IP55 - it was in the rain.

Yes, serious it is. You automatically take all the correct procedures. Or should. In the heat of the moment I have known two incidents. The first was a fatality. I don’t know much about that one. The other was closer to home. A dear friend of mine. He simply didn’t follow the correct locking procedure. He survived but was never the same.

Just too but still too many.

1 Like