Chinese scientists find massive 630ft-deep sinkhole with an entire hidden forest inside

The discovery was classified as “large” and experts hiked for several hours before reaching the base of the sinkhole and found three cave entrances.

Chen Lixin, who led the cave expedition team, told Xinhua that the dense undergrowth on the sinkhole floor was as high as a person’s shoulders and that some of the ancient trees at the bottom were 131ft (40m) tall.

“I wouldn’t be surprised to know that there are species found in these caves that have never been reported or described by science until now,” Mr Lixin said.

• That sounds quite exciting! :evergreen_tree:
3 Likes

Blimey Pixie, I wonder how on earth something that size had never been noticed before?
I wonder what else lives down there?

3 Likes

Oh I would love to know Mups! If I were closer, I would be the first to go down and explore it! :smiley:

1 Like

Giant fanged spiders, sabre-toothed snakes and rats the size of cats (big cats!) … :scream:

2 Likes

How many horror movies have you been watching recently, Omah?! :joy:

2 Likes

Exciting! I didn’t watch the video in the article, but this one is on the new species they found in an earlier sink hole.

3 Likes

More like pretty flowers, beautiful berries and some insects.

Oh I do love these discoveries! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

None recently … but, when I was young and impressionable, “The Incredible Shrinking Man” scarred me for life:

:scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream:

3 Likes

That certainly is very horrific! Wouldn’t be shown on TV now, I can tell you! :joy:

1 Like

It always amazes me how small the world seems to some people. It must be the internet that makes it seem like there are no places left that have not been visited by humans, when in fact there are loads of places that are undiscovered. This sinkhole is just one of them.

2 Likes

I bet there is a whole world in it though…just imagine if there were “new” species hiding away. While I’m glad to see these places, I often wish that nobody knew about them…they have been left alone quite happily for so long, it seems wrong that Man should poke about and (possibly) ruin it.

1 Like

I don’t doubt it, Foxy.
Loads of places, and loads of undiscovered species too.

1 Like

I dont doubt that either, Pixie.

1 Like

Mount Gambier in South Australia has many sink holes within the town boundaries.

The town’s water supply is a sink hole which turns the water a brilliant blue.

The whole area is interesting being comprised of extinct volcanoes caused when Australia ripped away from Gondwanaland

2 Likes

It would be amazing if there are undiscovered species living there
:+1:

On the other hand, hope there aren’t new viruses and diseases too! Perhaps better not to poke around to much :scream:

1 Like

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/chinese-scientists-find-massive-630ft-deep-sinkhole-with-an-entire-hidden-forest-inside/ar-AAXs8LY

China’s Guangxi region is known for its beautiful and sometimes dramatic karst formations. In November 2019, Xinhua reported the discovery of a giant cluster of sinkholes in the Guangxi region. Before this, in 2016, scientists discovered the world’s largest cluster of sinkholes in Shaanxi province in northwest China.

In 2020, six people were killed when a sinkhole swallowed a bus and a number of pedestrians in northwest China. And in 2016, a huge sinkhole opened in the middle of a busy intersection in China with the incident recorded on surveillance cameras.

Another sinkhole opened in 2021, during massive floods in China’s Zhengzhou when a pieces of road collapsed around it, with several people sucked into the deep hole.

Something’s down there … maybe it’s graboids … :bangbang:

2 Likes

Umm…graboids?

Googles

Oh yuck! :scream:

Nobody wants to be grabbed by the ‘Graboids’ Omah…
:astonished:

1 Like

would these holes be of any use for housing asylum seekers and.or EU seekers and failed poms??