Charlotte Owen praises Boris Johnson in maiden speech to Lords

Owen, who became the youngest member of the Lords when she was given a peerage by the former prime minister, said she had had “quite the journey getting to this moment” as she made her maiden speech during a debate on the King’s Speech.

“I will be forever grateful not only for this but for his kindness and encouragement,” she said. “I feel immensely privileged to have worked with him and other cabinet ministers during my time at No 10. I was delighted that his commitment to delivering the referendum result, his optimism and his vision for levelling up the country and ensuring that life chances are distributed fairly resulted in the seismic election victory of 2019."

Owen, who described herself as “a child of the dial-up internet connection”, said many of her fellow peers had told her how important is was for “younger voices” to be part of debates in the Lords.

She said: “I am part of a generation whose unique opportunities are accompanied by new challenges, from the difficulty of getting on to the housing ladder to the spiralling cost of university debt, the complexities of living in a social media age and the very real fear about our climate. We live in a time of great change. It is a confusing time. It is also a time of instability and anxiety. This is perhaps so for everyone, but it is surely so for the young.” (1)

Her critics have questioned what experience she will bring to the upper chamber. (2)

Charlotte Owen, centre, was among the aides who gathered on Downing Street as Boris Johnson gave a speech before formally handing his resignation to the Queen

(1) AFAIK, that was the “maiden” - nothing of importance - just an ingratiating “nod” to BJ and a story about 'er 'umble 'eritage and the difficulties facing the “young”, which, as an ex-public school girl, university graduate and (alleged) multiple parliamentary post-holder, she would know all about … :roll_eyes:

(2) Short skirts and long pins … :man_shrugging:

1 Like

It’s a mystery why Boris picked her out for special attention,isn’t it?

1 Like

And an utter disgrace. It makes the Lords and the upper chamber look even more of a joke than it already did. It truly is something when the failed exPM Cameron is elevated to the Lords we mostly think “at last, someone with experience”.

1 Like