Changing car wheel

Sue this evening got home and one of the front tyres was virtually flat, so pumped it up and just checked it is flat again. She apparently had to go up a curve to miss an idiot coming fast the other way half way across the road,
So I had a look tonight and then got out the space saver wheel and the car jack. Next loosened the wheel nuts before jacking up so the wheel doesn’t spin, then jacked the car up on the jack provided. I did have a trolley jack but left that with a pal at his kennels.
Car jacked up and deflated tyre removed and space saver put in its place. As the honda is staying in our garage I wanted the space saver wheel on in case the jack gave way. so now all Sue has to do is take the tyre in the Nissan to get it repaired or replaced. then just put in back on the Honda.
It did cross my mind about the “tracking” being knocked out of line but as the wheel had no significent damage I don’t think that is anything to worry about.
My guess is the tyre rim was pushed of the metal wheel rim breaking the seal. can’t fiknd any puncture marks so hopefully it is just a case of refitting the tyre to the wheel and no need for a new tyre, fingers crossed
AT least being in our garage it is dry and plenty of light to work in

all I need is to find out the torque settings for the tightening of the nuts

In my dotage I can no longer lift the wheels fitted to my car. Fortunately it is not a job I have had to do very much but when I do I carry a bend metal bar under the seat to lift the wheel off the ground and onto the studs.

The spare wheel is under the tray at the back so at least I don’t have to lift it out because it just lowers to the ground on a chain.

One thing I discovered with my previous car is to loosen the wheel nuts and do them tight with the tool you intend to use on the road. I had to call the NRMA out to change a wheel for me because I couldn’t get the wheel nuts off after a garage had put them on with a rattle gun. I have a very long bar in my garage!

BTW if it was me I would have put that silly wheel on the rear, very dodgy thing to have on the front if you have to brake hard or swerve.

Bruce
really you should tighten the wheel nuts up to the correct torque for 2 reasons. First too loose and they can become undone and second too tight and may strip the thread on tfhe nut or wheel.
I am very very strict about a garage and their use of air guns they never seem to preset them to the manufactures spec before use. I do have a torque bar in my garage so no probs for me

That spare saver is not being used for anything or going anywhere it is there as a backup if the jack fails as I already said

I have been driving for 60 years and never had a wheel nut come loose because I didn’t torque the nuts to some specific value nor have I ever stripped the thread. I suspect I have driven in more arduous conditions (for the wheels) than you too, I have never heard such nonsense.

Why not buy a pair of car stands? They are cheap enough.

got stands and ramps

Why not use them?

simple The Honda Civic estate is too low to get axle stands underneath really need my trolley jack back but may well get another now

Perhaps you need to give the stands away and buy some that are usable for the actual car that you own?

still ok to use on the Nissan xtrail though

I took my car in this morning to get the wheels balanced on the front because there was a bit of a jiggle at 100kph. They found that there was a flat spot on one of the tyres, I suggested they take a wheel off the rear and balance it for the front but they said to try swapping the wheels from side to side. This they have done but said if it didn’t stop the problem then bring it back and they will swap them front to rear.

Now I have to go into the garage with my bar and check the wheel nuts so I can get them off if need be.

Talking about jacking, does anyone remember those old cars that had an internal hydraulic jacking system with a selector and pump access under passenger floor? A mate bought a '38 Wolsey 14/60 with such a system and it was still working when he sold it to buy another motor.

1 Like

I’ve never used a torque wrench for tightening wheel nuts in my life realspeed. I pull on the wheel brace until I go dizzy. Very unlikely that you will strip a wheel nut with your bare hands.

1 Like

@LongDriver ,Back in the sixties we bought an old Ford V8 Pilot that had a similar system, never had to use it though so never really knew if it still worked… :thinking:

1 Like

There was the old (Maigret) Citroen with its adjustable pneumatic suspension. To change a wheel you lowered the suspension to its minimum height, locked off the bad wheel then raised the suspension to its maximum height which pulled the locked unit off the ground. Easy peasy

1 Like

decided to get another one of these from Halfords a 2 ton car jack as I left my old one with a pal in the
West midlands.