Changes in my lifetime

Good.

1 Like

I remember, my dad would always bath first and get ready for workā€¦ my mum would make him some porridge to drink with milk and sugarā€¦ us girls just got toast for breakfast. Milk and sugar were expensive.

My sisters were always asleep but Iā€™d sneak out of bed and sit with him at the kitchen table. I must have been about 6-7 yearā€™s old.

He would hurry, take his lunch tin, drink his porridge and he would always leave just a whisper for me, just a sip with the sugar at the bottom of the mug. Heā€™d ruffle my hair and say bye baby girl and off he went!

Best days of my life.

3 Likes

Awwww Minx. What a lovely memory :hugs:

1 Like

I shared that memory with him before he passed away. I remember him smile knowingly. Awesome Dad! Strict, but awesome!

4 Likes

Me too itā€™s a miracle I survived childhood it was so blooming cold in our house.
Couldnā€™t move in bed either what with blankets eiderdowns and old coats on top when it was artic !

2 Likes

thats also changed most kids get an iphone or similar to amuse/keep them quiet we lived in a less complicated time then nice memories minx

2 Likes

Ah go on Muddy, ya wuss :sweat_smile:

Those beautiful frosty patterns on the windows. Frozen water puddles on the window ledge. Breath in the air.

Paraffin heatersā€¦ (cough)

2 Likes

[quote=ā€œMuddy, post:85, topic:85801, full:trueā€]

Me too itā€™s a miracle I survived childhood it was so blooming cold in our house.
Couldnā€™t move in bed either what with blankets eiderdowns and old coats on top when it was artic !

Double Glazing,Central heating,roof insulationā€¦kids donā€™t know how good they got it. :laughing:

3 Likes

We did live in a less complicated time. The world is changing so rapidly. I donā€™t necessarily think itā€™s for the better though. But, I guess we have to take the good with the bad.

2 Likes

Does anyone remember the frozen milk outside on the doorstep with the frozen cream pushing the milk top off the bottle?
And the birds pecking holes in the milk top. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Yep and the the clink clank of the bottles at 6 am.

2 Likes

And the lovely tasting orange juice in the glass bottles. I wonder why that orange was so delicious from the milkman?

1 Like

hereā€™s a clip going back a bit on arran Im sure i read somewhere they bathed in the sea to save on water at castle so every day in summer time

2 Likes

True,dunno why it tasted a lot better than the shop stuff.

2 Likes

In the very early days I recall the mill delivered by horse and milk cart and those gardeners rushing out with their shovel and bucket to pick up what the horse left behind, good for the roses apparently!

That I recall was tasty as you comment. Didnā€™t it also have a green foil top to it and it was in one-third of a pint bottles, the same as the school milk?

2 Likes

We had the same here! Best ever Orange juice

1 Like

Such a pity, it doesnā€™t work hereā€¦

1 Like

Yes!! Gosh, Baz youā€™ve got a good memory. And the area where the milk was stored at school always used to smell of sick. :face_vomiting:

Come on now Baz, you;re not that old surely! :joy:

2 Likes

Yes I think so
I remember the silver and gold tops, and we used to save the tops and bring them into school for art lessons.

1 Like

Recycling from young and we didnā€™t even realise it! Fancy words for ordinary stuff we did when young!

1 Like