Changes in my lifetime

And the lovely tasting orange juice in the glass bottles. I wonder why that orange was so delicious from the milkman?

1 Like

here’s a clip going back a bit on arran Im sure i read somewhere they bathed in the sea to save on water at castle so every day in summer time

2 Likes

True,dunno why it tasted a lot better than the shop stuff.

2 Likes

In the very early days I recall the mill delivered by horse and milk cart and those gardeners rushing out with their shovel and bucket to pick up what the horse left behind, good for the roses apparently!

That I recall was tasty as you comment. Didn’t it also have a green foil top to it and it was in one-third of a pint bottles, the same as the school milk?

2 Likes

We had the same here! Best ever Orange juice

1 Like

Such a pity, it doesn’t work here…

1 Like

Yes!! Gosh, Baz you’ve got a good memory. And the area where the milk was stored at school always used to smell of sick. :face_vomiting:

Come on now Baz, you;re not that old surely! :joy:

2 Likes

Yes I think so
I remember the silver and gold tops, and we used to save the tops and bring them into school for art lessons.

1 Like

Recycling from young and we didn’t even realise it! Fancy words for ordinary stuff we did when young!

1 Like

My memory, although still good is sometimes not quite as sharp as it once was. The smell of milk never is very nice, possibly even sickening as you comment!
:frowning_face: :grinning:

Yes, unfortunately that is the case. Despite the memory still being quite
good I so often wish I was younger, by about 50 years or so!
We can’t put the clock back though!
:grinning:

Observing a totally enclosed Stagecoach bus earlier today, I realised how easy the Routemaster was to use way back when they were a popular bus. That open access platform and grab handle made a timely dismount ahead of your stop very easy and also for running to catch it a few seconds tool late.

4 Likes

In London with its stop start traffic you could jump on & off just about anywhere. Always jump off backwards to avoid mishaps, hit the road running forwards.

Not H&S nowadays, such a shame.

4 Likes

Baz, stop twicking us. As long as we’re young in heart, what’s age anyway :wink: :upside_down_face: :grinning:

3 Likes

The trolley buses were even more exciting to jump on at the last minute because of their acceleration

2 Likes

Yes, I remember that well. I still have the scars to prove sometimes that takes time to learn,
the hard way!
:upside_down_face: :upside_down_face: :frowning_face: :grinning:

3 Likes

True enough, age is just a number – except that occasionally we are reminded otherwise … ?
:thinking: :grinning:

1 Like

Cars…

The days of freezing cold cars with pull out chokes, and barely adequate heating - and the cranking with starter handles :mrgreen:

5 Likes

My Morris Minor van battery failed so I hand cranked it for about three months before I got round to buying a battery. I stalled it once at some lights in the middle of London so had to leap out with the crank handle to restart it somewhat embarrassing.

Fortunately the car had the absurd Morris joke 803cc motor so turning it was a breeze.

1 Like

Bruce, I used to love those old Morris Minors.
I had the Traveller, then the pick up truck with a canvas top, and lastly the saloon.
Luv 'em. :+1:

1 Like

Mine was an ex GPO van but I had a lot of fun in it. I think I only paid 30 pounds for it.