Cesar Millan (split from Barbara Woodhouse thread )

Very true, we didn’t realise how bad it would be for them soon as we did we changed the flooring.

How strange I know loads of people with laminate floors / slippery tiles etc etc and they are all dog owners .
Not a single broken leg among them .
I can only imagine there must be a lot delicate dogs about.
Maybe they don’t have enough impact exercise .
The answer is them more then they will build up stronger bones

That’s just rude and unnesesary muddy, you advocate some IMO cruel practices then suggest others dogs are not tough enough. Well mine are pets family members and I care for them I believe pretty well, vet is always happy with them and would soon tell me if I was not keeping them well. Dogs in my care have best I can do for them and that means I don’t force them to walk on slippery surfaces taking risks I can eliminate, I would no more take that risk than give them bones to eat that could kill them or let them catch sticks when we play outside. No point having them if we are willing to put them in danger. IMO

I am not rude and I would never advocate any cruel practises to dogs and it is wrong of you to suggest that I do .
If having a laminate floor ( I don’t as it happens ) if the cruelest thing that you can think of I am glad that you have never seen real cruelty to animals
You care for your dogs in the way you think fit I care for dogs in the way that makes them happy .
IMO keeping a dog indoors too much is tantamont to cruelty …
Many behavioural issues in dogs are caused by being under exercised and they live lives of desperate boredom .

Assumtions again I have worked as a volunteer in dog rescue for years, seen more cruelty than I care to talk about, some of the people you admire have a lot to answer for IMO they cause a lot of dogs to be treated badly.

If you are alluding to Cesar Milan -on the contrary rehabilitates dogs that are on their last chance .

Not dogs that have been abused but dogs that have been allowed to develop dangerous behaviour by imconpeteant owners .
If you are also referring to the late Barbara woodhouse as well I wonder what it gains you to make denigrating remarks about a woman long dead who loved animals?

Neither of these two people have caused dogs to be treated badly at all.

Oh yes they have, I have admitted I followed what she said and regretted it, I feel sorry for my first dog he was wood housed before I learnt how I should be treating him to get the best out of him. Many people alpha roll and kick because CM tells them that is right. All cruel practices. and blooming dangerous IMO.

No he doesn’t tell everyone to do it at all.
On the contrary he always advocates that what he does should not be practised at home ( Mrs Woodhouse was the same ) and people In doubt should refer to a professional dog trainer .
I can’t believe that you are still blaming a women who has been dead nearly 30 years ago for something that was unsuccessful in your case.
BArbara Woodhouse had an amazing rapport with almost any animal .
CEsar Milan has a natural affinity and rapport with dogs .
These are people who are gifted with animals
Animals like them it is a intuitive way not granted to everyone .
So their methods may not work for people who just don’t have this gift .
It’s the same with everything .
Many people ski but don’t ski well even if they use the equipment of champions
Using Michealanglos chisels won’t make you a master sculptor .
Having a set of oil paints doesn’t mean you will produce the Mona Lisa .
Training dogs indeed all animals can be learned
But haveing a true affinity with them is a gift .

Whether she is dead or not makes no difference she is open to criticism IMO
Whether they advocate copying them or not again not relevant they make money out of TV shows showing the public how to do things.

Julie Mrs Woodhouse has been dead for nearly 30 years .
She stopped doing TV programmes long before that so I hardly think she is making any money now .
As for Ceaser Milan I hope he makes lots of money as he is IMO a good man .

The public are not comprised of children they must make their own decisions as what to watch and what to do .

That’s why we have free will and freedom of expression it’s a basic human right .

I know when she died why she has been discussed puzzles me a bit as most people would consider her too old fashioned with out dated ideas to worry about these days. I didn’t start the threads I am just discussing what it’s want to talk about. Long gone thank goodness.

Barbara Wodehouse may be long gone but incompetent dog owners remain mores the pity.

Maybe you haven’t thought this through though Muddy.
Not all dogs are young, fit and strong and are able to enjoy “impact exercise” .
Those floors would be disastrous for young puppies, or very old dogs, or ones recovering from certain surgery for a start.
Indeed, some humans can’t cope with them either, that’s why they buy those socks with the rubber suckers things underneath!

Anyway, regardless of what anyone else thinks, I know beyond doubt I wouldn’t enforce it on my dogs.

I dont think people enforce walking on floors most dogs just do it .
Obviously old dogs have difficulties but not just with floors with the same things as old people . These are exceptions not the rule.
Hundreds of people have dogs and laminate or tile floors
they are not all hurting themselves .
In fact there are so many increased allegies with people and dogs that many change to laminate floors as opposed to carpets that harbour fleas and dustmites

I don’t agree with you that they are not ‘enforced,’ Muddy.
Of course they are. What do you expect them to do, levitate over the top? They’ve got no choice but to walk on them.

I agree old dogs have all sorts of other difficulties too, but why make life even harder for them? My old gal wouldn’t be able to keep her legs across one room on a slippery floor nowadays, let alone a house full of them.

Sorry, but beg to differ with your thoughts on this one.

Ok Mups but I have lived with dogs and slippery floors as in hot countries most people dont have carpets ,
Dogs love them as hard floors are usually cool.
my last old dog was 12 and had no trouble at all.

My old gal turned 17 last June, so bit of a difference there.
Wouldn’t put pups on it either, especially the Shepherds I used to have.

There is a compromise I think, and some stuff you can have layed that is sort of ‘ridged’ so a better grip. A friend of mine with 6 dogs has just got it. I might possibly consider that in a conservatory or similar, but I’d never have something like parquet (spelling?:confused:), no matter how smart it looked.:slight_smile:

We just found a parquet floor under a carpet we pulled up but we have put a new carpet over it rather than have it renovated because the dog doesn’t do so well on wooden floors. He hates the laminate in the kitchen.

Our staffie Poppy didn’t like the solid floor,so we had carpets laid…
She is a rescue dog we have had for the past couple of years,never had a problem with her at all…can’t think how/why she was in a pound,we couldn’t have had such a loving perfect girl,so well trained too,who ever lost/gave her up must have been so upset…

I personally dislike the videos that have been shown here,I find the man cruel imo…

Love, patience, kindness,training,and time given to these dogs with a problem/ rescues/or any dog should be all that is needed…

If one cannot do the above,then they should not have dogs…again imo…

The dogs that CM have for the most part been given love and kindness they are not abused dogs they are dogs that have incompetent owners.
It should be all that is needed but sometimes its not especially when the animal has been allowed to develop bad habits.
Sometimes it needs someone who understands dogs and has the confidence to correct problems with dogs that have behaviour problems.