Central Heating Do You Have It?

What type is yours ?
Or maybe you have a log burner or an open fire.
Have you put it on yet?

At the moment I have an electric fire, I’m hoping to get a storage heater fitted soon, it should have been installed in the summer, but they let me down.

I have central heating and a log burner .
Darn right I put it on when I am cold

2 Likes

I now have proper gas CH in this house. Such a relief to have instant warmth, rather than the storage radiators I had to endure in the flat.

1 Like

I have gas central heating which is just beginning to kick in now as the temperatures go down. I hate being cold, so will just have to put up with the higher gas prices this winter while mouthing hate-speech at Boris!

Pleased for you Jazzi, you will appreciate and benefit from it this year.

I can’t wait for my storage heater to be installed, I live in a one bedroom, the place heats up quickly, then I will use the electric fire as background heat.

I have gas central heating but it’s ancient. I have a back boiler in the chimney breast. Apparently it’s very uneconomical & my bills are sky high.

I read about a government grant to upgrade your heating so I applied for it but was turned down. I think it was too much of a problem for them. They only do jobs that are simple…

All our pipes run under a pitchmastic floor - it’s like Crewe junction under there.

Anyway - the back boiler is working fine but it would be nice to have reduced the bills.

Yes, I’ve had my heating on nearly every day this past week. Mostly in the evening.

I had this up until 5 years ago when I got a modern boiler and new radiators.
I was talking to the fitter and he was explaining that back boilers waste 755 of their heat up the chimney.
Did you apply for a grant here? Heating Grant and have you tried Citizens advice or similar to help with the application?

Carol, the whole lot probably needs ripping out, have you had it checked for safety as it’s so ancient?

I have gas pipes here that are also ancient, I did enquire years ago about gas central heating, they said the whole pipe system was ancient and out of date, the whole lot would need ripping out and renewing, so I opted out.

I’m having a modern storage heater fitted on a grant, I may have one put in the bedroom, but, I will have to pay for that one.

The company who should have done it let me down, they said they were having problems getting the heaters ,then said they would get back to me in a few months, this was the beginning of the year when I applied, they never answered my last email.

So I’m going elsewhere.

RE: My ancient back boiler.
Apparently you have to apply to your power company - in my case E-on.

Their chap came & looked at it & convinced me that mine couldn’t be done under the scheme. I took his word for it & didn’t bother anymore. The whole ‘scheme’ thing was a farce I think!

Definitely seek advice elsewhere, it is in E-On’s interests not to do the work as they would have to pay for it.
They also should have given you a written statement as to why you did not qualify.

Go elsewhere ,Carol, that is what I’m doing, plenty out there offering grants.

I’ve had a grant years back ,they put in a new boiler and new radiators, they even finished off our extension that was left in a dreadful state by my ex, it’s worth seeking advice elsewhere, I don’t believe it’s a farce either.

Thanks MrFraggle. That link you sent me looks familiar. You think it’s a government grant but it turns out the power company have to pay.

I shall try again through the link you sent me & see where it leads me.

Yes I got the impression the man from Eon was palming me off!!

If they turn you down insist on a written statement of the reasons for the decision. It would also be useful to have someone there with you as a witness if they refuse to provide said written statement.
I can think of no reason why you would be turned down given you have an inefficent back boiler.
Never take no for an answer.

I know of no one out there offering a grant but the government Pauline.

There may be plenty out there to do the work but not to pay for it (The grant)

Not sure where you’re looking , but I’ve found plenty, I’ve qualified with a UK grant so am going with that.

I have a relatively new gas fired system for heating and hot water. It is fully automated and keeps zones at the selected temperature irrespective of season or weather. It is based on something know as optimum start control and together with outside sensors, ensures that each zone has reached the desired temperature by the time we are getting up from the previous night’s sleep. I cannot fault it, but as the boiler has a projected life of 25yrs, I wont be considering any other type of heat generator during my remaining years on this earth.

1 Like

Can you not provide Carol with links to these grants?

No,I can’t I don’t know how, she’s only got to type in storage heater grants.

But then she’s looking for gas central heating so won’t be looking in the same place as me.

I went through a lot of bother with the chap from E-on who came before. He convinced me it couldn’t be done. The only way I could replace my CH was with a new more efficient back boiler - Yes they actually still make them!!

I said ‘Yes I’ll have that then’ He then told me ‘They don’t come under the scheme!!’

Doh!!

I’ve just applied to 3, who ever gets back to me the quickest I will go with them.

My son will email them all the necessary proof of qualifying once again, I just hope I get more success with them.

I will let you know how I get on.