Causes of death in London - 1632

46 poor souls were killed by accidents. Not one accident mind you, but several. :grinning: :grinning:

2 Likes

Executed and prest to death sound gruesome.
I remember reading about ‘prest’ … if you were before the court and refused to plead you got a load of heavy rocks piled ontop of your chest as you lay on the floor until you opted for innocent or guilty.

2 Likes

Tympany in animals is bloating, cows would get that if fed too much rich grass after being in all winter.

I get that after baked beans.

1 Like

You got me curious, so I looked it up. It was probably croup.

Rising of the lights

1 Like

I love this kind of stuff from a bygone age. A great idea for a thread.

1 Like

Same method was used a few times in the States as capital punishment. Pile rocks on you until you were crushed or suffocated.
Peine forte et dure (Law French for “hard and forceful punishment”) was a method of torture formerly used in the common law legal system, in which a defendant who refused to plead (“stood mute”) would be subjected to having heavier and heavier stones placed upon his or her chest until a plea was entered, or death …
Blame it on the French.

I will if you will. :grinning:

1 Like

I get on everyone else’s case I have to work the French in there somewhere. :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

Hence the saying prest for an answer,

I’ll get me coat.

1 Like

Affrighted sounds intriguing. :thinking:

I suppose that would be called scared to death these days.

impostume I had to look that one up, kinda wish I hadn’t

(ˈæbsɛs , -sɪs) noun. a localized collection of pus formed as the product of inflammation and usually caused by bacteria. verb.
:face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting:

“Kil’d by several accidents.” Also known as death by bad luck. :grimacing:

And I thought it was some sort of disaster at Blackpool.

Burst and Ruptured “WHAT?” 9 people just exploded?

well 13 died of … 'planet ’ …

There is a witty quip on the tip of me tongue but I shall not utter it.

Poor souls how they must have suffered. We are so fortunate

1 Like

Cancer and Wolf?

‘Wolf’ could be used to describe a cancer anywhere on the body , but was, as Dionis observed, most commonly used to designate tumours and ulcers on the legs.”

Well fancy that!

Very interesting thread! :grinning:

2 Likes

Hey that’s just London…earlier here though…
From 1348 to 1350, in Paris, there was not enough living to bury the dead. This sentence, which is not an exaggeration, summarizes the incredible catastrophe that struck Paris with the rest of Europe with this epidemic of plague.

It was unprecedented and remains the deadliest epidemic in Paris in proportion of the population. One can only imagine the consequences of a nuclear war to get an event of similar proportions.

Coming from Asia and spreading through trade and wars, it made 25 million of victims, which was about 40% of the European population.

They are all bad times but possibly not as bad as 536AD when the sun didn’t really shine for several years and crops failed all over the world leading to mass starvation.