Causes of death in London - 1632

The young and the old had a high proportion of deaths. Suicide looked low. Tuberculosis (consumption) was high at the time. Lots of people died of teeth and fever. No cancer and heart disease, so I guess it cancels out.

source

3 Likes

Rising of the lights sounds mysterious … I wonder what that was.

I wonder if King’s Evil was the pox? As in VD.

2 Likes

I don’t know but there probably was cancer then and they didn’t recognize it as such ?

1 Like

More than likely … a great many cadavers were whisked off to be butchered up by medical science in it’s infancy … or meat pies at Sweeney Todds. … or body fat rendered down to make soap and candles.

2 Likes

I hate it for the poor sap that died of Piles. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

I see two died of lethargie. It seems I’ve been living with a terminal illness for 66 years and only just realised. I must remember to stand up more often.

6 Likes

46 poor souls were killed by accidents. Not one accident mind you, but several. :grinning: :grinning:

2 Likes

Executed and prest to death sound gruesome.
I remember reading about ‘prest’ … if you were before the court and refused to plead you got a load of heavy rocks piled ontop of your chest as you lay on the floor until you opted for innocent or guilty.

2 Likes

Tympany in animals is bloating, cows would get that if fed too much rich grass after being in all winter.

I get that after baked beans.

1 Like

You got me curious, so I looked it up. It was probably croup.

Rising of the lights

1 Like

I love this kind of stuff from a bygone age. A great idea for a thread.

1 Like

Same method was used a few times in the States as capital punishment. Pile rocks on you until you were crushed or suffocated.
Peine forte et dure (Law French for “hard and forceful punishment”) was a method of torture formerly used in the common law legal system, in which a defendant who refused to plead (“stood mute”) would be subjected to having heavier and heavier stones placed upon his or her chest until a plea was entered, or death …
Blame it on the French.

I will if you will. :grinning:

1 Like

I get on everyone else’s case I have to work the French in there somewhere. :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

Hence the saying prest for an answer,

I’ll get me coat.

1 Like

Affrighted sounds intriguing. :thinking:

I suppose that would be called scared to death these days.

impostume I had to look that one up, kinda wish I hadn’t

(ˈæbsɛs , -sɪs) noun. a localized collection of pus formed as the product of inflammation and usually caused by bacteria. verb.
:face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting:

“Kil’d by several accidents.” Also known as death by bad luck. :grimacing:

And I thought it was some sort of disaster at Blackpool.