Catacombs a Huge Cemetery Below Paris

Below Paris…A Huge Cemetery…
Underneath the streets of Paris is one of the spookiest places in France – the Paris catacombs. Opened in the 18th century, the catacombs are one of the largest graveyards on record with the remains of around 6 million people buried here. It is a maze of dark passageways with walls lined with skulls and skeletons that is enough to give anyone a fright. There are a few skeletons that aren’t meant to be there either – like that of Philibert Aspairt whose body was found in 1804, 9 years after he disappeared in the catacombs

There are other Catacombs around the World.
This link shows them.

5 Likes

Wow, this looks quite fascinating…I would love to see this in real life! :astonished:

There’s 100,000 plague victims from the 1600’s buried in mass graves underneath London too.

This site even has a map …

2 Likes

Ok…so we have The Pest House, The Pardon Plague Pits, and Gipsy Hill Plague Pits! Certainly intriguing names :joy:

Thank you for sharing Di.

I don’t think I would visit though…

No thanks.I’ve been in the one in Rome.Not out of choice,I was on a school trip and it was supposed to be edukayshunal.Nice and cool though.

You can go in the sewers in Paris too,never been tempted by that either.

No I would not go near the place, but found it interesting and shocking when I first came across this many months ago.
It was only today that I saw others around the world also.

Nope on the sewers, what a weird thing to go into…
We have fosse septiques as the norm here in Rural France, that I am now use to but on a grand scale…no way.

1 Like

There’s so many nice places to go above ground in Paris.:slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I agree :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like