Cash to turn off your washing machines

If you have a smart meter you could be paid to turn off electric guzzling equipment between 5pm - 8pm .

1 Like

So they pay people not to use their washing machines in peak times, but they can’t give us money to pay our bills. Or reduce the huge profits that energy companies are making.

Ok then :roll_eyes:

And wasn’t there something about getting your GP to give you a sick note so you could get money off your bill.

And I also read something else about charging people who use electricity during peak times, having to pay more for the privilege.

:roll_of_toilet_paper:

2 Likes

That’s interesting, I don’t have a smart meter…what’s so good about them?

1 Like

Its so you can monitor your usage on a daily basis, and know which appliances use more electricity than others. I send off my meter readings every week to the energy company and log them in a book. The energy company keep an eye on your usage as well.

2 Likes

Do you have a smart meter?..sounds like you don’t, wasn’t sure.

I have an electric key meter, so I pay as I go, so I don’t feel I need a smart meter, as I check my credit , And lately, what with this cost of living and all…dreading the winter…it does cost more to have a key meter.

Sorry Ripple, a bit off topic.

You don’t have to send a meter reading it done automatically if you’ve a smart meter . Other than that errr nope.
I binned the screen as every time you use electric…kettle , toaster whatever …the screen went red ! What am going to do …give up coffee .

2 Likes

Ripple, I have a key meter and as you say, when I use the kettle ,I check the meter outside in the shed,:open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth:

No way am I giving up my lattes…:joy::sweat_smile:

I have a coffee machine, but the pods are so expensive for the Tassimo, so it’s in the cupboard…not gathering dust…:joy::+1:

1 Like

I suppose it would help keep the lights burning between peak hours if big electric appliances weren’t used peak time this winter
Also if there were financial incentives it would be an encouragement
But it could just be a ploy to get everybody signed up to smart metres.

2 Likes

It was here when I moved in. I don’t like them at all and would never have one, given the choice. And its an old one, not very accurate and it doesn’t belong to the energy company I pay my bills to. I can’t change it, because they don’t “make” smart meters. So, I loathe them, frankly.

2 Likes

They keep phoning me on my mobile,Ripple, to sign up for a smart meter…what benefit is in it for them if I sign up?

Which I won’t be doing as I have my pay as you go meter.

1 Like

I don’t believe key or pay-as-you-go meters can go smart

it will be another very unfair scheme as I think only people on direct debit meter will benefit.

2 Likes

It isn’t fair either…what if you work nights, or have a family, or have health issues that requires you to do more washings than normal? Its almost penalising you for keeping clean! :scream: (not really since they pay you for not using the washing machine, but still…making it a “thing” is not necessary)

2 Likes

So if they think there will be a shortage of power during the winter, why are they still building hundreds and thousands of new houses across the country? And encouraging everyone to drive an EV?

3 Likes

Nothing whatever - unless you like being spied upon.

1 Like

I suppose it’s a similar principle to the old system of offering an Economy 7 Meter, which had a cheaper off peak tariff from midnight until 7am.
Only the households with an Economy 7 meter benefited from this tariff - I think you paid a bit more than the standard tariff for peak time electricity too, so it was usually only worth it if you had electric storage heating or weren’t at home much during the day.

I don’t think many energy companies offer the Economy 7 tariff anymore - we used to have an Economy 7 meter in my last house. I used to have my kitchen appliances, such as the washing machine and dishwasher, on a timer to switch them on after midnight to take advantage of the cheaper tariff.

With the advanced technology of Smart Meters, you won’t need to have a separate meter installed like the old days.
When they started rolling out Smart Meters, I always thought it was on the cards for energy companies to start charging different rates for peak and off peak times, which is effectively what giving rebates for reducing peak rate usage is doing.

I don’t have a Smart Meter

Oil/fuel shortages has been worsened as the UK moves away from dependence on Russian oil throughout this year

People still need to live in houses .

Change to electric vehicles is happening whatever ! it’s long over due imho

@Ripple , Bloody stupid idea imo Ripple, aint the extortionate price of energy
enough incentive not to use it ??
They must have a lot of spare cash to throw away ?? :thinking::thinking::thinking:

2 Likes

Russia has nothing to do with the energy crisis Ripple, it’s just a handy solution to another problem. Isn’t it the job of the government of the day to make sure that the companies can supply water, sewage and energy to the residents of their country. If not why not?
probably because they sold them all off into foreign hands.
Yes people do still need to live in houses, but I don’t see people living rough and queueing round the village where I live waiting to be housed. And if there was a housing shortage, how come they are still allowing people to enter the country when we cannot supply all the extra houses with water and energy?
Changing to electric vehicles when the infrastructure can not support them is a stupid idea, and one that the people of this country can not afford.

2 Likes

I can see the logic in replacing 1 old stock house with eg 2 new housing units if, including the carbon footprint of materials needed, they each use less than half as much fuel to run them.

But, to reiterate the point, pretty much all of the world’s woes is due to population expansion.

As wonderful as all these tech advances in efficiency are, they only stick a plaster over the symptom and completely ignore the root problem.

3 Likes

I think the problem of overpopulation is being dealt with Dex. Have you had your jabs ?

1 Like