Car loosing power

As I was driving this morning my car seemed to be losing power. It was like something was pulling it back. Even with my foot right down it wasn’t doing more than 20mph.

I got to my destination alright but was worried about getting home.
I couldn’t have been more relieved when I started it up again & it went normal.

Any idea what it could have been? Should I take it to a garage?

Mine has done that several times. Means it went into limp mode. Take to a garage where they can use a device to check the on board computer. Sometimes they can clear the fault. My last experience was that it detected a faulty battery so got that replaced.the first time was a sensor but the RAC bloke cleared it.

If you do not have access to a fault code reader, then probably yes. Did you notice the engine light illuminate? It might have been something as simple as some smut on the sensor built into your exhaust system, the lambda unit, which senses the oxygen coming from the engine. Or maybe the mixture starting enrichment system not cutting off when warming up.

Thanks Jazzi & LD. I’ll be taking it to the dealer I bought it from tomorrow.

1 Like

i know the feeing for sure??

What, being “Limp” mode?

I think I’ve experienced that, but then maybe I imagined it.

Ah, limp mode yes, I know it well…

1 Like

Must admit I’d not heard of it till the first time it happened and my neighbour, a mechanic, helpfully said that is what happened. I had been out with my sis to a recycling depot and was a few minutes from home with shopping. Had I tried the engine again I may have found it would have started but just waited for the breakdown. Sis came and got me, took me home with shopping, and then back to wait with the car. I may have wasted hours not trying it again.

OWN YOUR OWN Fault Code Reader.

The OBD2 diagnostic socket in your car is for accessing your car’s system and it can allow the connection of a fault code reader. I’ve had one for a long time and it has saved me both time and money. They are no nowhere near as expensive as when I bought mine and just this morning found one that would be delivered for under £8.
Fault Code Reader Scanner Usefull Car Engine Diagnostic Reset Tool OBD 2 UK NEW | eBay

1 Like

thanks for that LD great idea!!

1 Like

release the handbrake.

Jazzi your engine stopped altogether? That would have bothered me more.

Mine just slowed down to 20mph.

Yes, they really are good idea to own. Even if you don’t know what the fault codes mean, a swift look on-line for your make of car and someone somewhere will be providing a free list for you to download. If say for instance, my wife’s little city Suzuki had a fault light up and I plugged my reader into the OBD2 socket, I’d write the code down and then look at the on-line page below and then take the appropriate remedial action. I can even use the reader to cancel the light if the fault is something minor.
Suzuki Fault Codes [9 Models] | FaultCodes.co

Carol, no it slowed down, like yours, and I coaxed it to a side road. This was the first time. Since then I have become aware of the limp mode. The second time, I was about a mile, mile and half from home, having driven back from London, and it did it in a long line of traffic. Again, had to just coax it home at its own pace. That was when a battery fault was diagnosed.

The important thing is not to panic, get it to a side road if you can, or just get it to where you can, switch off, wait, then try again. I think I should have done that on the first occasion.

Carol, any update on the car?

I took it to the dealers yesterday & he explained how limp mode usually means a threat to the engine.

I’ve booked it in to have a diagnostic check next Tues - that was the nearest he could fit me in.

In the meantime it’s going ok…

Blimey, a week?

I don’t bother with dealerships now, and go to independent garages. I don’t feel I’m being ripped off then.

It won’t cost me anything Janet. I took a 2 year warranty out on it when I bought it in January.

Don’t be too sure carol, you may be charged for a diagnostic fee, that is, plugging his obd reader ( albeit a more sophisticated one) into the car, then, depending on what he finds it may not be covered under your warranty, wear and tear is often used as a get out clause by these warranty companies, I hope I’m wrong and it’s fixed foc, but , be prepared…