Car Insurance Shock

I’ve just had my new quote for next year from Churchill, and nearly had a seizure! Up from £614 to £1,100. This is after last years increase as well. Got on the old blower to them. " How the hell can you justify this massive increase!??" The usual market forces sir, and increasing costs. "Well you can stick that quote for a start! "Offered me £659 as a sop. Considering I do only local mileage, probably not even a 1,000 miles a year, I seriously considered giving up the car, although I only changed it in June after scrapping my other one. What in God’s name is going on! I’m off for a lie down! :rage: :rage:

2 Likes

they tried something like that on ours 2 cars. Its a try one and should always be challanged. They usual excuse is ones age or locality irrespective of the milage one does. It is now a case of screw the customer for as much as possible and hope they will pay up without question

1 Like

If it is only used for local travel why not buy an old banger and just have “bomb” insurance?

Even better get an electric mobility scooter they have a range of about 30km and don’t need insurance.

I’ve just had an email from Money Saving Expert.

Don’t wait till the last minute to buy car insurance - the perfect time’s 20 to 27 days ahead

There’s no such thing as loyalty anymore

1 Like

I’m expecting a shock next year too. I had a minor scrap in a supermarket car park which resulted as the first claim ever against my insurance. Even though I have a no claims discount I’m sure they will use it against me.

1 Like

My car was insured by the same company for years then last year they doubled the premium, I have made no claims, had no accidents and have over 10 years no claim bonus. I tried the company which I use to insure my home - their quote was just £20 above what I paid previously, guess who I went with? I am convinced our age is being used against us despite older people driving less, travelling shorter distances and having less accidents.

1 Like

Change your insurer and keep the car. Most insurers or brokers try it on every renewal and almost every year I change to a new insurer to take advantage of their new Business bonus of around 15-20%:+1:

2 Likes

Mine has likewise soared. The “market force” here has been the number of people who don’t pay for insurance. We had a van totaled last month by a driver who didn’t have any. Our insurance paid :slightly_frowning_face:, so it will be our policy that takes the hit.

They will Annie, for sure. I’ve had highly increased premiums for several years as had two claims against me. I am hoping the time will be spent by January so I can get other quotes without having to tick ‘have you had any accidents in the last three years’.

In McD the other day the wind whipped my door while I was getting my bag out, to lodge against the car next door, I thought, oh heck…not again!!! Went inside, called out for the driver, he inspected, said that’s okay, rubbed it off and said ‘bless you for finding me, most people would have driven off’. So thankfully, this time, no damage.

I always check with Confused.com a few weeks before my renewal is due, I find decent, well as decent as I’m going to get quotes on there. I will usually go for the cheapest, after I’ve ticked the boxes for what I want.

1 Like

That’s right. I got a much better quote from Confused.com, than the others such as Go compare, Aviva, Daily Mail Finance etc. Loads of them quoting £1000 plus. I got a nice bonus too from Confused, a £20 Sainsburys voucher for using their service. Got myself a couple of cases of Heinken! :smiley: :beer: :beer:

1 Like

Heineken? Many of my girlfriends used to refer to me as Heineken between themselves. .:grin:

1 Like