Car insurance renewal following changes

My car insurance comes up for renewal on March 1st. I received an email from my existing insurer (Aviva) to tell me that my insurance would cost £266 and change for the next year. Last year I paid £207.00. Nothing has changed to warrant this sort of increase as far as I’m concerned (no claims, no accidents, no broken windscreen, nothing!).

I went onto Aviva’s website and got a quote as a new customer using exactly the same requirements (even down to the same voluntary excess) and it came up with £220.00. My next action was to phone Aviva and tried to negotiate a better deal. Their agent, after a few minutes away from the phone, came back on the line to tell me that they couldn’t even begin to match this figure as it was a special on-line only deal so, I said forget it.

Then I hit the comparison websites and Compare the Meerkats :lol: came up with LV= at £205 for EXACTLY the same cover as I got last year.

Even though insurers are now supposed to offer existing customers the same deal as new customers you can bet your last penny they probably won’t unless the law is actually changed. My advice? Hit the comparison websites as normal people and don’t trust your current insurance company to give you the best deal.

4 Likes

@Percy_Vere , its what I do every year.

1 Like

Thanks for that,Percy, I’ll be doing exactly that, when my car insurance comes up for renewal,:+1::+1:

We are with LV each year challenge and offered the same as on line

Well I had a huge reduction in my insurance, due 16th February. Yes, I know I was paying far too much before, just never got round to changing. Mr. B was always telling me how stupid I am. Yep, agreed. However! This year the quote is £200 cheaper than last year! Well happy, I am :blush:

2 Likes

I’ve been talking to Jeff Prestridge, the Financial Mail on Sunday’s financial editor about this and my story COULD be mentioned in one of his columns in next Sunday’s newspaper. Ooer!

Sorry to hijack a thread, any one else bought a brand new car ? if so how did you go about changing insurance over, my new one has a number issued but its not registered to the DVLA yet ? ( how that works I don’t know ) but my insurance company says the details I gave them about the car doesn’t show up so won’t swap it for next Tuesday, To answer my own question I think I might need to speak to the supplier to confirm the paper work I signed last October is the car I’m actually getting.
Can’t be too difficult to change over surely.

Easiest thing was to swap insurers.

I insure via a broker & get given a choice of 2 or 3 options. One recommended & at least one other option. Some years I stay with the same company, but often the cheapest option is moving, but, stay or move company, all that my insurance takes is a 2 - 3 minute phone to the broker.

Good for you but I’d still check on the comparison sites AND by going on-line direct to the insurance companies. A friend of mine did this just last week after I told him the story I told on this thread. He was with LV through a broker. His renewal came through at over £350 so, he phoned LV and got the same cover for £230. Guess who he went with for his car insurance?

Well done! Never be taken for granted as an existing customer. Shop around and save some wonga :ok_hand::+1:

Same thing happened to me with Beam by AA. My renewal was £260. My new quote (same company) via Compare the meerkat was £206. I cancelled my policy and took out a new one for the cheaper price. Got one message saying sorry you are leaving and another one welcoming me to the company.

1 Like