Car Free Sundays

This along with other things has been suggested to help with the fuel costs. How do you feel about it? Sunday is the day we get away together so I don’t support it, also I can’t walk 5 miles to the pool and another 5 miles back afterwards.

I can’t really see it working because not as many people work Monday to Friday nowadays, and those who work on Sundays need to get to work.

And Sunday isn’t a day of rest for many people any more. People who work all week need to get their shopping done, take the kids out, visit parents etc

And I don’t think it’s fair to take away people’s freedom to get out, meet up and enjoy themselves on their day off

I think working from home would probably help more. It reduces the need for travel and fuel consumption but is flexible around modern life styles

3 Likes

I am expected to work some Sundays and if I’m not working, it’s one of the few days I get to go out and do my own thing. There are far too many restrictions already on a Sunday without this.

2 Likes

Why do you think UK wants to cut consumption of fuel ??
The sale of fuel is the source of much of UKs wealth and the government is
heavily dependant on high fuel consumption through taxation!!
Why would they want to cut their revenue at this time?
Worth thinking about l think ??
Donkeyman! :thinking::thinking:

1 Like

I can easily do car free Sundays and I usually do - but I live in the country and there is hardly any bus service and limited Sunday train services, so for anyone needing to travel far, it would be difficult in the country.

However, the 10 point plan doesn’t mention rural travel - it seems to be referring to

Car-free Sundays in cities

Impact: Every Sunday saves around 380 kb/d; one Sunday a month saves 95 kb/d

When I lived in a towns and cities, I didn’t bother having a car because public transport was available and frequent. I only got a car when I moved to the country, where there is very little public transport.
If I visit a city now, I take public transport to get there, but I rarely travel on Sunday when the number of trains is reduced.

I think you’d have to take into account the whole 10 point action plan because if you didn’t use cars, there’d have to be alternative and affordable transport, which is where one of the other points comes in:

Make the use of public transport cheaper and incentivise micromobility, walking and cycling
Impact: Saves around 330 kb/d

i won’t be going along with any car free days at the moment, the car is there for use as and when, days of the week don’t make any difference

2 Likes

For car-free-Sundays to work in my area, a far better bus service will need to be provided. My local Hoppa service does not run on Sunday so we cant even get into town to the multi route terminus for the four routes that do run, and even those are chopped down to an hourly service.

1 Like

I think the idiots who come up with these ideas must live on another planet.
I’m sure they’d never try to impose any new rules that would impact on their own routines and freedoms.

If this becomes law, what on earth would they charge us with? Surely, they wouldn’t include emergency vehicles in their silly new rules…
or perhaps they’re just trying to make us all use bicycles instead.

2 Likes

Same here. In any case, there are no bus services at all on a Sunday where I live. Even on a Saturday, our local bus operator has cut many of the services in ½ because of lack of use.

Just like many other ‘essential’ items (Smartphones, computers & Internet, microwaves, dishwashers, TV’s, Radio’s, central heating, sat nav’s, Alexa, Amazon etc) the motor car is probably one of the most important, and our whole world has been designed around these necessities. It’s taken years to get where we are today, and you can’t just take any of these things away. Eventually we will have to limit, or even do without the motor car as electric vehicles become too expensive for the average person to afford, or electricity becomes a rare or rationed commodity (forget about saving the planet, the intention is, to get you off the road by introducing EV’s) obviously, as the roads become more congested something must be done to unclog our highways, and the EV is it! But you can’t take away peoples vehicles overnight or even on a Sunday.

1 Like

I’m confident that I’ll be in my box long before EVs are compulsory.

my plan to avoid having an EV car. We have got till 2035 before the ban on new sales of petrol and diesel cars, i recently bought a self charging Hybrid, keep it for about 8 years and then buy another before the ban, and by then i’ll be long gone, methinks, there might have to be a Plan B if i live longer

I suspect we too will be gone before the problem arises .

So we’re not bothered about our kids and grandkids then…?

I suspect that our kids and grandkids will soon become aware of the problems, and politicians, they seem to be happy with now and vote accordingly.

Nope, sure they can work it out

2 Likes