Car breakdown cover

When I bought my mini 3 years ago I bought a package which included breakdown cover , this runs out in January .

My mini is 5 years old never had any issues , I am a townie driver and only drive long distance twice a year to Surrey from Dorset . Should I buy new cover , who with and which level would be best do you think .

Thankyou for your advice

1 Like

Which Magazine ratings:

I’m with Start:

*** Cover costs me £40 pa.

1 Like

Maybe talk to your insurer.

I’ve been with aviva the last couple of years, and they have a habit of including RAC cover with their annual policy. I suppose nothing is free, but I’m not sure I’d get the insurance cheaper if I said I didn’t want the breakdown cover.

You could open another bank acocunt which includes breakdown cover. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/best-packaged-bank-accounts/

It depends on the gamble you are willing to take, a 5 year old mini is at the point where reliability drops off, if you had no cover and you broke down away from home how would you proceed in getting your car to where you need it to go, either home or to a garage, does your cover include home start?, if you are going out and your car won’t start how are you going to get it started ?, I would check what cover you need, a lot of cover offered by banks, insurance providers may not have the cover you want,

1 Like

Interesting to read your replies I shall look into it before end of the month

Thanks all

Can I also ask about airosole puncture repair kits , which is the best one to buy , one car breakdown states a kit must be carried in the car as I don’t have spare tyre

1 Like

Good points … :+1:

Start *** Option offers everything except Europe, Theft, Vandalism and Driver Illness/Injury:

Doesn’t membership of the AA/RAC cover this?

Perhaps I misunderstand the cover. I ama member of the NRMA and for just under $300 I get the following Austrslia wide:

• Access unlimited roadside assistance 24/7, 365 days a year – wherever you are.

• Access up to $4,000 a year for accommodation, car hire and onward travel for you and your passengers in the event of a major breakdown.

• Up to 100km towing in metro and country areas, 100km in remote areas or even further with major breakdown entitlements.

• Cover for trailers up to 2 tonnes including things like caravans, boats, trailers and more.

• Receive one windscreen chip repair and save 30% on glass replacements through our partner, National Windscreens.

• If we can’t unlock your car, we’ll cover up to $100 towards a vehicle locksmith.

• Up to $500 a year, covering the cost of a locksmith callout and replacement keys.

• Get a free 6-point vehicle health check for your battery, charging system, tyres, windscreen, oil and water.

• If you have an accident more than 100km from home, we’ll help arrange accommodation.

• We’ll cover the taxi/rideshare fare if you break down close to home and your vehicle needs to be towed.

I seem to recall tha AA/RAC memberhip offered the same or similar benefits, what extras does insurance offer?

If there is a space for a spacesaver spare, then I suggest a spacesaver trye on a spacesaver rim . E-bay have many that have never been used and recovered from damaged beyond repair cars.
2017-2022 MINI COUNTRYMAN & PACEMAN Space Saver Spare wheel 16" + Jack & Spanner | eBay

we carry on with extended service cover which includes breakdown and our car is now 8 years old