Cancer-causing chemicals in your food and drinking water

Just started watching this and immediately thought of those of you who have posted health related threads recently (particularly @AnnieS and @swimfeeders)

No part of the world has been spared because so many of these chemicals are spread through air and rain - Monstanto has a lot to answer for!

If you watch/listen to it I’d be curious what you think - does it make you angry how greed-focused companies may have not only wrecked your health, but that of your children and grandchildren too?

1 Like

Yeah, but burnt toast has carcinogens in it doesn’t it? and who of our age didn’t blow out brake drums when the linings were made of asbestos?

…and where would we gardeners be without Roundup (or it’s cheap Chinese equivalent)?

1 Like

I think there’s a big difference between the risk of ingesting a bit of burnt food than these chemicals Bruce :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Everything is made to sell not to use or eat.That means the profit motive always comes first.Good luck changing that!

1 Like

Dunno - - I get regular fresh meat delivered to our door.

1 Like

Free? Good luck!

1 Like

I heard that the Royal Mail was wondering why their postmen were disappearing.

3 Likes

Really?
Ours operate every day except on Sunday.

1 Like

That’s handy. So salad on Sunday then?

doesn’t everything cause cancer potentially?

And I’m suspicious of the causing cancer claims, when they are not more specific; lung cancer? prostate cancer? skin cancer? what kind of cancer and where?

2 Likes

That would be the acrylamides which can also be obtained just by the heating of cooking oils and cooking of starchy foods.
What is acrylamide and is it a cancer risk? | BBC Good Food

It would be interesting to see the result of pure organic soil management and farming. Rather than it increasing the volume of food, I rather suspect we’d run short of it.

Organic growing may have provided sufficient food in old times but World population has increased manifold since then and the demand for food has increased accordingly. If we want plentiful a supply of it, we have to try to stop pests and the forces of nature from taking away a large proportion. Find ways to get even more yield from planting and this means fertilizers and pest control measures.

Life expectancy has gone up even though our food, drinks and environment have chemicals, fertilizers etc in them. I hear lots about an ageing population. People living so long that supporting them (us) is becoming a problem. As far as I can tell, my children and grandchildren are all pretty healthy.

We all are exposed to the way food is currently produced. Why aren’t we all dying earlier if they are so bad for us?

4 Likes

Exactly my thoughts mart.

1 Like

Mine too…
:+1:

1 Like

I’m not clear from the video how some of these chemicals affect us in the UK. It seems v focused on the US.

Processed food is the worst. It’s a lifestyle choice how much of that we eat. There’s something called an “anti-inflammatory” diet that one of my friends is on during chemotherapy, which probably makes the best sense all round.

1 Like

Gout is also an inflammatory disease (a kind of Arthritis) Annie, and my previous heart attacks were put down to hereditary and inflammatory causes.
The thing that puzzles me about this diet is that Fish is supposed to be very healthy. I eat lots of fish. But I found out that large amounts of proteins, found in fish, turns into purines and then into uric acid, which in turn causes crystals to form in the joints…Very painful!
Some gout sufferers have found relief by not eating fish…

2 Likes

We’d deffo run short if food crops are increasingly used to supply fuel for air travel.
Virgin Atlantic flies world’s first 100% Sustainable Aviation Fuel flight from London Heathrow to New York JFK

1 Like

Tescos are the worst, I find. Lots of plump colourful blemish-free fruit piled up, fill yer trollies. Take it home, let in ripen in a bowl by the window. But it never ripens, cut it open and it’s mouldy in the middle. FFS what is this, how was this fruit produced, what are they trying to do to us?

1 Like

that’s because it’s coated in apeel.

https://www.tescoplc.com/news/2022/tesco-to-trial-apeel-plant-based-protection-for-fruit-to-extend-shelf-life-and-reduce-food-waste/

Apeel, Pah!

1 Like