Can you solve my DVD Problem?

At our advanced old age, we are very dependent on our television for all sorts of reasons. Apart from recording live TV broadcasts we also have a fairly large collection of DVD films. My son has recently upgraded all the equipment including a large HD screen. He also fixed it so that we had a new DVD player. The trouble is that now we cannot resume a particular DVD programme where we left it off when we stopped viewing last time. This is something we used to do with our old ‘obsolete’ DVD player. I now have to fast forward to the spot where we were last watching. It takes a lot of time and would rather not have to do it. Surely this is a standard feature?

I don’t like making a fuss with him since he has helped us a lot and he faces many problems not connected with his ancient parents. I am hoping that some OFF member can point me in the right direction. I don’t think that I can sort it out myself. I don’t even know the technical term for this feature that I now don’t have. Perhaps my remote isn’t sophisticated enough and the answer is to get a different remote?

I can show a picture of my remote.

The text below the word SONY is BD on one line and underneath it shows RMT-VB20101D. The actual text on the buttons don’t come out well and I can spell them out if that is needed.

Any suggestions?

Perhaps it only happens on previously recorded stuff that was recorded on the old machine Mr Magoo, therefore the new machine doesn’t know where you watched up to…
Does it happen on things that you have recorded on the new machine and watched part of?
Its always hard changing to a new system as you get older Mr Magoo, I hate it…

None our disks have been recorded by us. We only ever watch disks that we have bought. I don’t expect the new DVD player to know here I have left off on the old player. I am only talking about disks that I have watched on the new player.

Are you able to enter a time that the recording is picked up from? That’s what I do on my Nakamichi and it spins on up to that time and then starts playing.

1 Like

That is how it works on my SKY programmes. But on the DVD, it just went on from where I had left off. That is what I am wanting to do on the new DVD player.

It may be a design feature of the player. Usually, if you press Stop once, it will resume where you left off. Press twice and it clears it.

Thank you, Graham. I knew that but my new remote is so small that I kept pressing the enter key. Now with a lighter touch I am able to resume where we had left off. Problem solved.

2 Likes

It might be that the new DVD player doesn’t remember where it is when it is turned off, try leaving the device on until the disk has been completely watched. It uses bugger all power.

DVD players are so cheap these days (I just bought one for $27 - £14) that you can’t expect too many facilities. Really only wanted it for “emergencies” and an HDMI output - all my own videos and ex DVDs stream from my NAS

A post was split to a new topic: Old DVDs that I recorded no longer working - any ideas how to fix them?

I come across a problem with my new DVD player (as mentioned above)!

When I am using is my now rather antique WD TV Live (they stopped making them nearly a decade ago) the remote control turns on and ejects the DVD player tray.

Not an insurmountable problem, I will just unplug the DVD player as I can’t remember the last time I played a DVD whereas I use the WD TV Live thing regularly.