Can you remember being a child?

What was it like?
What did you like/dislike?
What do you remember the most?

(By child I mean pre-teens, so under 13)

Also see:

yes to an extent of hating going to school

2 Likes

I was in 7 different Primary Schools.My parents moved around a lot. Some of the houses had inside toilets and some didn’t. :grinning:
Fortunate never to encounter any cruel teachers and I saw a lot of South Wales and the West Country.

1 Like

Don’t remember any cruel teachers but, there were a few piss takers :icon_wink:

1 Like

I prefer not to remember my childhood

However, I do recall being carried into school kicking and screaming aged 5, I hated it, no idea why but I left at the earliest opportunity by which time I played truant so often I barely attended anyway

Things have turned out alright but it’s one of my biggest regrets

1 Like

Being called a “filthy stinking Yidd” for most of my junior state school days prior to being moved elsewhere.

1 Like

I have very happy memories of my childhood. Right up until I was thirteen yrs old, I lived with my parents in a rented flat on the top floor of a house in North London and I became friends with the landlady’s daughter, we were the same age, we were always together. We grew apart for a while when me and my family moved but we reunited later and even kept in touch for many years when I moved out here.

2 Likes

I was born in 1937 so most of my childhood was during WW2 and immediately afterwards. I remember most of stuff in the shops was rationed. When sweet rationing stopped after the war the demand was so high they had to be rationed again. I also remember the queues for bananas outside the grocery shop. We lived near a wartime aerodrome and we used to count the aircraft taking off.

4 Likes

I can vividly remember everything from the age of 5

2 Likes

Five seems to be the age when memories become clear.
I certainly remember my first day at school aged 5, and the wooden jigsaw puzzle the teacher gave us to play with.
I also remember a timid little boy named Richard who asked if he could play with us - he remained a very good friend for years!

Any memories before that age seem to be a bit hazy.

3 Likes

Also five!
It’ was when I could first remember dreaming too. I don’t know why but in in some way I felt that they were important, having some kind of significance and tried to memorise them.

2 Likes

Mum and Dad were passionate cyclists, so I was taught to ride a two wheeler at the age of three (without stabilisers)
I went to meet my Dad coming home from work on my bike.
You could do that in those days because there was hardly any traffic.
I rode down the lane and on to the main road but I must have missed him, so I carried on the four miles to his factory.
Turns out he rode from work with his mate and took the long way round.
When he arrived home my Mum said did you not see Robert?
So he promptly turned around and cycled back to work where I was waiting for him…
He was really happy to have biked back to work after working his 8 hour shift…Not.

2 Likes

Same here Foxy, the transition period is hard to nail :icon_wink:

2 Likes

Sorry Foxy, I was responding to another post :smile:

1 Like