Can you get Shingles without ever having Chicken Pox?

never the less !!!

I have had it 3 times now and its awful - my last lot was on my back and I had that In the spring time -and I still get itchy on the same patch -but I will ask for the vaccine when I go to medical centre -

There is a huge database that can be queried here

You can play with it to your heart’s content.

You need to make selections on the left hand side, selctions for Geography (UK, England, Wales etc) and the Underlying Cause which you’ll see I have selected as Herpes Zoster.

When your selections have been made click “Download Data”

You can view the results in your browser or extract to Excel

My search for all cases of death caused by Shingles came back thus:

https://www.nomisweb.co.uk/query/asv2htm.aspx

It states the number of deaths in 2016 as 53. 50 in England, 3 in Wales.

The numbers are correct.

Sorry to hear you are one of the 0.42% of older people Maddy.

Next time you get it you can boost your immune system to fight it by eating these foods:

Foods with vitamins A, B-12, C, and E, and the amino acid lysine. Foods that promote healing include:

• orange and yellow fruits
  • leafy green vegetables
  • red meat
  • eggs
  • chicken
  • wild-caught fish
  • dairy
  • whole grains
  • legumes
  • beans
  • tomatoes
  • spinach

At the same time you should avoid:

• food and juices with high amounts of sugar
  • arginine-rich foods (including chocolate, gelatin, and nuts)
  • refined carbohydrates
  • foods high in saturated fat

There are also various herbal remedies that will help like Echinacea, Lemon balm and green tea

Realist the argument you have put forward in post #80 is itself tragic.

You’re comparing air safety to a virus vaccination programme?! Every air death is a tragedy, every death from shingles is a tragedy. What’s your point? That we should do away with the multi-million pound industry of air safety systems and traffic control?

Once again I am pointing out that the entire population over 70 is not vaccinated, just a targeted cohort. If 100% of that cohort was vaccinated we would see a marked reduction in complicated hospital admissions where shingles has been a factor. We would also see a marked reduction in shingles outbreaks.

The vaccine was not developed for over 70s but for everyone. Because of the nature of the virus iIt’s most effective later in life.

Shingles is a nasty virus and part of the horrible Herpes family. The vaccine either prevents outbreaks or alleviates symptoms. It either does one or the other depending on the individual response. So it already does what you say you think the pharma industry should do. I honestly don’t understand why you are so against this.

Once people have a virus from this family there is no way to remove it. It makes its home in the nervous system. It doesn’t matter how many natural remedies you take it won’t make any difference. We don’t know who will get an outbreak or when and there’s no harm in people in this targeted group being vaccinated to avoid unnecessary suffering and death.

Animal proteins such as chicken, red meat and fish are high in arginine. As are beans. Most foods contain both and this is not a way to prevent shingles attacks. The vaccine is the best protection anyone can get.

My “argument” which you refer to is that YOU simply don’t understand or appreciate the numbers involved and have no sense of perspective.

A tiny number of people develop Shingles every year. 0.076% of the UK population, 0.42% of those over 70.

We don’t need a “solution” to that problem which involves doing something to 12 million people.

What we need is a solution to the problem SPECIFICALLY for the 50,000 people that get Shingles.

See the difference? It’s really not difficult to understand.

One doesn’t really need to be cynical to see that Big Pharma has chosen to develop a “solution” that involves 12 million people paying for vaccines rather than one that involves just 50,000 people paying for a treatment.

Wake up !

No you are wrong . . . again.

The vaccine simply spurs the body to action. To create antibodies that will kill the virus.

In other words you are still using your body’s own innate healing and defence mechanisms. The vaccine is not a cure.

If the body is capable of fighting viruses then you don’t need a vaccine. What you need is to keep your body in peak condition, to keep it’s immune system in peak condition. Eat the right foods, reject bad foods, don’t smoke, don’t drink alcohol to excess, don’t do drugs, kick sugar out, kick sweeteners out, kick processed foods out.

Most people who develop Shingles will get rid of it in time.
Typically 1-2 weeks for the rash to heal and up to 4-6 weeks to be completely free of the pain. How long it takes depends on how seriously a person is taking their body, how well they look after it, whether they prioritise body health over other things. What determines whether your past Chickenpox dormant virus reactivates is the state of your immune system. Your immune system keeps it at bay, until and unless you allow it to become compromised.

Look after your body and it will look after you.

Grasping at Big Pharma pills, potions, treatments and vaccines is not the way forward. To do so is to give up immediately and say,

“I can’t be bothered to look after my body, I like my sugar, I like my sweeteners, I enjoy smoking and drinking and no-one is going to stop me, it’s my life”

This life attitude leads to illness and persistent debilitating conditions which then have people dependent on Big Pharma like junkies. It’s a life choice.

I most certainly don’t want to be a Big Pharma junkie popping 50 pills a day. Once they have you, they have you for life.

Realist I am sure you will agree that as you age your immune system starts to become less effective along with everything else in your body. The older you are the more likely you are to have a chronic condition or serious illness. This is the group that is most at risk of shingles.

It doesn’t matter how much you look after yourself if you end up getting cancer or kidney failure or a myriad of health problems because of old age. Once you get to a certain age things simply wear out. Eating healthy won’t stop that.

So once you get to your 70s it’s worth having this vaccine because you’re far more likely to have a shingles attack after 65 than before that age. It gives the immune system a boost by reminding it to keep the virus dormant.

There’s a new GSK vaccine called Shingrix which is apparently 90% effective and has been approved for use in Europe and Japan earlier this year. I can’t see any NICE reports on it though or whether it has more adverse effects. I will be interested to see whether it gets approved for NHS use in the next couple of years.

I do understand the numbers involved but are you sure that you do?

If they knew exactly who was more prone to shingles attacks that would help narrow the cohort, but it’s random. With this programme it’s really important that they have 100% uptake because it’s not an infectious disease so you don’t end up with herd immunity by vaccinating only 50% as you would with say child flu etc. In the case of the shingles vaccine the other 50% is just as much at risk as before.

This is nonsense. People start developing conditions because they haven’t looked after themselves. They’ve lived a life of excess, thinking they are immune to illnesses and that the rules don’t apply to them. Talk to any smoker of the past 50 years and you’ll realise that in truth they just never bought into the concept that smoking is going to kill them. Most of them still don’t believe passive smoking is a problem either. They are all morons. They are going to get ill and many will suffer awful lung related illness for many years.

Old age isn’t the cause of the illnesses. It just means that bad habits have eventually caught up with you and it’s time to pay the piper. You can not continue drinking a bottle of wine a day or lots of G&Ts every night and NOT eventually suffer for it. It simply takes time for a bad life style to catch up with you and that’s mostly why in old age things begin going pear shaped for many people.

My grandfather on the other hand has always lived frugally, never eaten to excess, has always avoided alcohol and stupid sugary fizzy drinks. He makes his own bread from wholewheat flour and eats real foods, fresh meat and vegetables. As I write he is 98 years of age, still fully mobile, still drives a car and still has all his faculties.
He hasn’t had Shingles or cancer or any major illness.
He’s not lucky. He simply lives a healthy lifestyle.

Looking after yourself IS the No 1 priority. Not GP’s, doctors, nurses, hospitals, vaccines, pills, potions and treatments.
It’s absolutely VITAL that we understand what our bodies are and what they need and that we give them that and don’t pump it full of crap. Millions of people across the country are clueless, mindless Sheeple hopelessly entranced in the “Matrix” of life which the media conditions them with. They live to excess, pleasing their whims and desires not caring about themselves or others. They drink to excess, binge eat, don’t educate themselves about foods, don’t read food labels, eat junk food multiple times a week, some eat it daily. At the slightest sign of illness they reach immediately for Big Pharma pills and potions. They have no concept of Nature and what it provides. They just stuff themselves with Nurofens, Co-Codamols, Codeine, flu capsules, throat lozenges and syrups, and just about any drug they can get a prescription for. They are I’m afraid . . . idiots.

It is this ignorance, this stupefied existence, living in a conditioned slumber that eventually leads to massive illness and debilitating conditions. Time catches up with them.
Their “life energy” runs out. We only have so much of it and it is not to be wasted. Every time the body has to combat a bug, virus or other condition you dip into your “life energy” bank for the fuel to heal yourself. If you are not replenishing that “life energy” you get worse and worse, sicker and sicker.

It’s worth understanding that at least 16% of all cancers are caused by bacteria and/or viruses. Therefore the need to keep your immune system and general health in good order is paramount. If your body can combat the bacteria and viruses then you will avoid further complications.

We are all creatures of Nature. We are born of Nature, we exist in Nature, we respond to Nature.

To pretend otherwise is pure folly.

Nature sustains us, if we understand it and let it.

Big Pharma hates Nature. Nature provides us with what we need freely. If we take from Nature, we are NOT making profits for Big Pharma. Hence they try to steer us away from Nature at every opportunity, they pass laws to prevent us using products of Nature. They are crooks, plain and simple and they are engaged in a purposeful war on our health. You either see it or you don’t.

I will not be a willing victim or casualty of that war. I will fight it with all of my strength.

The effectiveness is a moot point. The impartial studies just don’t exist and there are very few studies at all. All of them were funded by Big Pharma manufacturers. No surprise that they say it is 90% effective.

Notable too that this new vaccine needs 2 doses given within 2-6 months of each other whereas the previous vaccine only needed one dose. More profits !

The new vaccine costs $280. The previous one was around $200.

It remains a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

The number of people getting Shingles is tiny.

How about leaving people to make their OWN decisions as to whether they should/should not have a vacination which may prevent them getting a serious illness some time in the future.

That might well be due to lifestyle, although it could also be pure luck or genetics. There are no definitive answers for longevity, only opinions.

Regarding the general population, I read life expectancy in U.K peaked some years ago and there is some opinion it has levelled off because of NHS cuts. People possibly don’t receive the care that they might have got some years back.

Nonetheless, average life expectancy here has gone up over the decades. This would seem to be because of advances in medical care rather than because people are leading a frugal and healthy lifestyles. I think we can be fairly sure that the mass population don’t lead their lives that way but even so, many more people are expected to reach their eighties than years ago.

How so if not for the medical care and treatments provided by the health services …injections and all? What other factor might here be? The general population probably aren’t looking after their health as well as they ought to and yet more of us are still making old bones.

Outside genetics, they say there is a link between longevity and affluence. People are more likely to die younger in the most deprived parts of the country.

Do not presume to tell me what to post. This is a debate, a thread with willing participants engaging in dialogue and exchange of facts and ideas . . . as opposed to the infantile one liner outbursts and tantrums seen in the politics section where you make your home. Here you find yourself well out of your depth.

On the contrary cro magnon man, as a patient of the NHS who may well shortly qualify for such vaccination, which I would be happy to have, might I suggest, you drag your knuckles elsewhere!!!

Suggest what you like, it’s a free forum. Just don’t expect me to pay the least shred of attention. I’m here to debate the facts not engage in infantile outbursts.

wowee someone is googling a lot on this issue here 'seems its run its course in links and numbers …!!!

Yep. Tough and monotonous as Googling can be, it’s the depth of research that everyone needs to do to ensure they are properly informed. Without the salient facts we simply can’t make informed decisions.

[FONT=“Arial Black”][SIZE=“4”]SHINGLES VACCINE IN PERSPECTIVE[/SIZE][/FONT]

This graphic should help people understand the perspective of the numbers involved with Shingles.

Is it really worth vaccinating all or most of the people represented by the blue squares, just to prevent the tiny number represented by the yellow squares from getting Shingles?!!!

Surely the health industry should be developing anti-viral treatments for the tiny few who actually do get Shingles.