Can you do crosswords?

Yesterday I completed the Western Australian Newspaper 28 clue crossword. Whoo Hoo.
Give me a medal to pin on my chest. :grinning:
I always have a copy of Mr Wisdoms Crossword book.
This is full of 400 clue crossword puzzles. If undisturbed, I can complete one of these in under an hour. With an average of 20 words I do not know.

2 Likes

I tried, several times, to get back into doing crosswords, but Iā€™m hooked on ā€œCodewordā€ puzzles, instead, now. I like all of these wordy type of puzzles, but I long ago learned not to do them just before trying to sleep. Also, all such puzzles are great exercise for the brainy bits - very few people think that they need such things to strengthen their minds.

1 Like

I do crosswords and a few other things like Scrabble. More recently I like Words With Friends. I quite often play with my son and my sister.

1 Like

Sometimes.I have a problem with most of them though.They are either too easy or too hard.

1 Like

The too easy ones means you have plenty of words in your head. The too hard ones shows that you do not have enough words in your head. :slightly_smiling_face:

You should change your name to Confucius

1 Like

Confused Confucius :grinning:

Iā€™ve been doing the cryptic crossword in the Daily Mail for quite a while now. Never ever finished it mind, as itā€™s a real mother. I challenge myself to get at least six clues or more. Some words in the answers, Iā€™ve never heard of, so I make a point of looking them up online. :laughing:

1 Like

Two letters, opposite to yes. To affirm the negative.

2 Likes

In my childhood we had a washing machine home of the manual type which was a dragā€¦

Occasionally, we went to the local laundry shop on main street. It took for ever. In order to prevent boredom, Papa and I did crosswords.

However, I stopped completely in 1969ā€¦ I was sitting at the kitchen table doing on Sunday crossword in the newspapers accumulated during the week. My back was to the back door.

I had trouble with a particularly difficult word acrossā€¦ Suddenly, a woosh of wind blew the screen door opened and slammed closed. I jumped out of my skin, when I calmed down a weighty coldness touched my shoulder and in my ear, I heard my granduncle (who was a chess, checkers and crosswords champion) whisper in my ear the answer to my query.

The word was the correct answer ā€¦ the wind blew the door again. Papa sent it in and we shared the winning weekly prize.

Nevertheless, it was the last time I touched one as years later I tried and the same situation happened again. My granduncle died November 1966.

Cheers!

1 Like

Yes. I just donā€™t want to.

1 Like

Yes I am into crosswords and I also compose for a publishing house for pocket money and my favourite single malt, although I am considering stopping this time consumer.

1 Like

I have never been able to get my head around those dastardly cryptics :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

Let me get back to you on that :laughing:

Wow, what an amazing experience. We really do not know what goes on when we die. :thinking:

I can understand why. Crosswords fill your mind with words you might never use. :slightly_smiling_face:

Compose crossword puzzles?

1 Like

I have a go at the cryptic crossword in the Telegraph every day. I was shown how to attempt cryptic ones some years ago and have completed a few since then. I think when you do them over a period of time you begin to get to know the compilerā€™s little nuances. It seems to me that the Telegraph has a range of compilers - anyway, thatā€™s my excuse for being able to complete some and not others :wink:

1 Like

I havenā€™t graduated past Sudoku yet, but then, Iā€™m more of a numbers manā€¦Words fail meā€¦
:nerd_face:

3 Likes

I did attempt cryptics a long time ago. Never was able to get my head around them. Looking at the completed crossword, I could still not work out how the answers came to be. :man_shrugging:

Total opposite here. Words man, numbers go over the top of my head. :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

We must always remember the words of Edward Bulwer-Lytton ā€¦ ā€œthe pen is mightier than the swordā€ and thatā€™s a phrase I entirely agree with :pen::+1:

1 Like

So true. I am a letter writer, Letters to the editor, letters to politicians, submissions to parliamentary enquiries, letters to businesses.
If something gets my gander up you can be assured I will pen a succinct letter.

3 Likes

Iā€™m retired now but I used to send a lot of business letters to from companies. Most of these were in electronic format (Word) but for a final quotation for a project was usually hard copy.

1 Like

When I was working I used to do the Sydney Morning Herald cryptic crossword every day (except Friday) but when I retired I stopped after the SMH went to tabloid format, havenā€™t done them since

1 Like