Can exercise reverse the aging process?

Some think it can!

1 Like

Hi Carol.
Good article :cool:

Obviously in a literal sense we cannot get younger, but we can keep our fitness levels at a pretty high rate for as long as we live pending unplanned and unrelated serious illnesses such as cancer and MS.

Type 2 diabetes is the major leader now in lifestyle-type complaints but most of the reasons why people succumb to this is not typically because they eat too much sugar (as is commonly supposed by many) but that people are basically inactive or they do not exercise regularly. Diet plays a big part in our health too and a healthy eating plan in moderation must be adhered to to enjoy one’s life usually following middle age (40+).

It’s all to do with an individual’s mindset though. If, like myself, the have the willpower to actually want to keep themselves fit and healthy it will be achieved. The amazing people in your article have proved this and should serve as an inspiration to many.

So yes (and I hope OldGreyFox reads this as he can back this up perfectly with his recent health check), we can actually look, feel and have the body and mind of a much younger person if we adhere to a relatively healthy lifestyle.

My new exercise bike is ready to assemble!

I don’t think it can reverse the aging but it can slow it down…

I agree. Nothing can stop you ageing but the more active you are the better your quality of life will be (hopefully!)

You can’t reverse the ageing process but by keeping yourself fit you can perhaps help to halt illnesses that come with lack of exercise like diabetes. I.m fitter now in my late 50s than I was in my 30s as I took up regular exercise 2 years ago. I had very high blood pressure and now I have the BP of a fit person due to doing so. We cannot stop our bodies ageing but we can slow down the process.

Well, not reverse age as such, but it can help regain what you have lost, to a degree. Mobility, strength, flexibility and stamina are certainly much better if someone exercises.

It has helped me immensely since I had a heart attack, after which I could shuffle along and could walk for only several minutes before I was drained of strength and energy. You’d never know I’d had one, to look at me now. :smiley:

:023::023:

Fantastic! :023::023:

Glad to hear you recovered well Tach

Great share, and good comments here.

I generally find that my quality of life seems to be better than many my age. I’m fortunate to still be surfing, running, backpacking, ascending mountains, and working in very high altitudes that many of my peers have abandoned because they claim to be - too old. I tend to think they could do these things if they just conditioned into them, but they have made a mental decision to let go because they blame their numerical age.

In essence, I live longer, I have gained not more years at the end, but more and better years right here in the middle.

In essence then, not so much reversing the ageing process, but prolonging life :026:
I can’t understand anybody not wishing to do that.

And not just extending life, but giving one years with better health, mobility, and quality of life.

I wonder whether or not people who have healthy lifestyles are able to live independently longer? That would make for an interesting study.

I don’t think exercise affects the age people look but it can affect the age people behave.

I can’t fully exercise my abdomen area because of old operations but I work on our friend’s allotment, ride a bike and walk briskly quite a lot. I think this keeps me younger than my years energy-wise …but I reckon I still look my age.

Technically it should make you age faster because of the free radicals. However, it should make you feel better and stop deterioration of bones and connective tissue by strengthening supporting muscles.

It is an interesting fact that exercise does produce more free radicals, but exercise also stimulates the production proteins (some of which are enzymes) that help keep free radicals in balance. Free radicals may actually help people live longer.

Researchers will change their minds six time though :lol:.

A few days ago I came across my old Heart Foundation Pedometer so I attached it to my belt.

Day 1 15766 steps
Day 2 17522 steps
Day 3 7791 steps (so far today at 1.30pm)

They used to recommend 10000 steps a day as a goal so I am up there with that. These days people seem to wear those wristbands that tell you steps, distance, route etc but this thing does me.

I doubt it makes you younger but as a young girl said on a Youtube video I watched recently, “Keeping fit makes you harder to kill”.

health is most important, at least to me. essential for me to be able to still move and run, albeit less than before…

We don’t stop doing things because we grow old…we grow old because we stop doing things!

I’m 62, and a weight trainer, here at home. I’m now stronger and faster (martial arts) than I was THIRTY years ago! (In cardio-vascular terms, however, I’m in bad shape, but I intend to work on that with either an exercise bike, or a treadmill, but I’m in no hurry to buy one of those, just yet.)

When I was 50, I told people that I was going to celebrate the my 50th birthday for the rest of my life, and I’ve stuck to that. We grow old because we stop doing things, and I’ve kept up everything that I could possibly do from earlier decades.

My amateur’s advice…don’t live a digital life!

To be fair you can do both, it is not an either/or situation.

I just had breakfast, watched the sunrise over the bush, updated my on line travel blog, checked the weather forecast for Quilpie, then I will pack up and set off.

You young puppies don’t know you’re alive :wink: