Can anyone recommend extra-wide fitting walking shoes?

Our postman / lady seem to wear running shoes .
They wear shorts too in the coldest of weathers .
brrrr.

Yep, and wearing shorts and running shoes is a hard habit to break Muddy…During some of my marathons I had to stop myself from running down peoples paths when running through housing estates…:confused:

These are mine favourite shoes for walking. Very well made and extra wide.

I’ve done some miles in my Merrells Bratti, and they are still going strong, although they have been relegated to gardening in now…I seriously need a new pair before winter…:frowning:

1 Like

I’ve been wearing them for years now. I’m needing a new pair also and usually get the high tops for winter. They are the most comfortable.

I bet you need the higher boot type where you live Bratti.
I’ll post a picture of my new acquisition shortly…:cool:

1 Like

Hard to go past Dunlop KTX (the X means wide fit), they have velcro ties so little bending over required to put them on and they are cheap too ($39)

They are all I ever wear, I buy several pairs at a time.

1 Like

There are so many hills here that ankle support is much needed otherwise it’s too easy to twist an ankle but I find it difficult finding the higher boot type for warmer weather. All my high tops have always been winter shoes/ boots. At the moment I’m wearing very comfy Skechers but they don’t offer enough arch support and my arches are high.

1 Like

I Buy Merrell. I have a pair of walking boots with high ankles and a pair of low ankle shoes. I bought size 10 in the shoe last time but found these a bit tight, especially when wearing winter socks. I bought half a size bigger this time and they feel fine. The ankle boots are that size too.

1 Like

I have some Merrell walking shoes too Mart :003: but my favourites are my Asolo hiking boots - I love them! (The Merrells I have are the moth brown colour and the Asolo’s are orange.)

For anyone who wants wide boots/shoes, KEEN shoes are generally quite wide :023:

1 Like

Agree. I’ve got Keen’s too. They’re awesome.

1 Like

I prefer a brown colour when it comes to Merrell shoes Azz but they were out of stock this time so I had to break with tradition and buy dark grey. Had them about a week and I expect I’ll soon get used to them. The ankle boots shown are about the same profile as the Merrell boots I have.

1 Like

They were two wide for me Bratti :lol: but they are very popular as I see lots of people with them :smiley:

I quite like grey shoes mind, but their brown design looked really nice - plus they go with my favourite coloured shorts :lol: what am I like :044:

2 Likes

I also have KEEN extra wide walking shoes - BUT…they are wide are the front AND at the back. My feet seem to be only wide at the front.

1 Like

I buy Grisport walking shoes, not cheap but very very comfortable aand never seem to wear out

https://www.grisport.co.uk/walking-shoes-c79?gclid=CjwKCAjw1JeJBhB9EiwAV612ywXpyfwVmREjkJVGByBYKH_T4Rlk2yWyAyKHQVWQEL6W6_LH206LDhoCWM8QAvD_BwE

2 Likes

Since starting this thread I’ve spent over £250 on wide-fit shoes…which have thrown up some completely new issues, so am hoping for more help and advice.
A wide fit shoe is great…BUT it’s only the front of my feet which are wide, the ankles are relatively narrow. I try to counter this by cutting the toe part of a pair of socks off and wearing just the ankle - so far so good. My shoes also need to have the depth for a minimum of at least one decent insole purely for cushioning - and sometimes I need more than that, PLUS my orthotics. I’ve ended up buying a pair of wide-fit foots AND wide-fit wellies - which I envisage saving for the winter…I used the Jilleon wellies last year and they’re great in the mud, of which there’s been SO much in the last two winters I’m wondering about giving up walking for a few months at that time of year.
The wide-fit boots are for winter use - fur lined - they still need some walking in but I have great hopes.
I’ve also bought a pair of Keen Targhee wide fit shoes - waterproof - as I’m fed up of getting my feet soaking wet. BUT waterproof shoes are hot hot hot! Now we’re into autumn, those are my shoes of choice and I’m wearing them as much as possible to wear them in properly. BUT - I’ve now got hard skin on the tips of my toes and my second and third toe nails have thickened…they’re sore!! One of my big toe nail was bruised in September 2020…and is still bruised and sore now! It’s not fungal, just bruised and I have to put vaseline on it to stop it throbbing. I also have a bruised second toe which has split vertically.
It’s very important to me to keep walking - because of arthritis I only walk around 5 miles - three times a week - and about 3 miles on other days. So healthy feet are really really important. Any ideas?
PS. I soak my feet and smother with vaseline regularly…

@Lindyloo Do you have a branch of Hotter Shoes on the IoW? They have a fair selection of wide fitting shoes etc of varying sizes and they also increase in half sizes too.
Edited to add link:-
Ladies Comfort Shoes | Hotter Shoes UK

Thanks but no. Some shops stock Hotter shoes but there’s certainly not a branch of Hotter. On reflection I think it has to be the new wide fit walking shoes which is causing the current issue. Maybe I need more time to walk them in a bit more, in the meantime I’m going to wear the old crappy shoes and hope it doesn’t rain!

Not sure if this helps, but I find shoes need a bit more “wearing in” than they used to. I used to be able to wear shoes pretty much out of the box, but now I’m having to alternate different pairs to get my feet/shoes a bit more comfy. Maybe its the cheaper materials?

Thanks. That may be the case but surely cheaper materials would expand faster than expensive materials. I’ll try my old shoes tomorrow and a shorter walk, see how that goes.