Can anyone help find this book?

Back in the 1970s I read a few books from our library, written by a middle-aged lady who upped sticks (from London, I think) and bought a run-down/derelict croft somewhere in the Hebrides.

She wrote about moving in, renovating her home, getting to know the locls, and so on.

I’d love to revisit these books, but can’t remember the author’s name, or the book titles.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

1 Like

The only I know of who might fit the bill is Lillian Beckwith / beckworth.

Does Lillian Beckwith sound familiar?

oh, snap basser

Lucy Irvine wrote Castaway and Runaway (both stories of her experiences in life) . She came from London and I understand that she moved to a remote croft in Scotland, with her young son.

Lilian Beckwith rings a bell. I shall investigate, thank you soooo much!

I remember the Hebridean books of Lillian Beckwith, I think I still have a copy of ‘The Hills is Lonely’ somewhere :slight_smile: .

Do you mean ‘Hannah Hauxwell’ who lived in poverty in the dales in a shabby farmhouse with no facilities .A TV programme was made of her life.

She also wrote a book about her life.

:slight_smile:

That’s the one I was thinking Azure. Extraordinary and lovely, lady.

Yes Mups , she is, and I do have her book as well.
She was quite famous when she appeared on TV.
also got a lovely bungalow from the local council
Wonder if she is still around?

I will go on line and find out.

I thought it was Hannah Azure. A brilliant documentary and great lady :confused:

Hannah is still living in her cottage and is well
Go on Youtube and you will see videos of her farm and live as well. Fascinating!

I’ve got a feeling after she finally got some warmth and comforts in her life, she died Azure. Not positive though.

Oh, my apologies, I have just seen your post,and I was wrong. Apparent;y she has just celebrated her 90th birthday.
I really thought I had seen somewhere that she had died.
Well I am glad she is still with us anyway. :slight_smile:

I agree Goldielocks, she is unique and has a lovely personalty even after living a very hard life.

crikey I remember that programme and her working through the winter.

Have checked - and Lilian Beckwith is definitely the author I was lookjng for.

Many thanks, folks!

Re: Hanna Hauxwell. Aye, t’owd lass is still living - she’s now 90 years old. She’s now in a retirement cottage given to her by the local council