Can anyone explain to me what - Woke - means in relation to societal matters

Why has it taken on a negative connotation?

1 Like

From the wiki

3 Likes

Woke.
Itā€™s also now often used to belittle by the over opinionated to berate those who donā€™t share their POV.
Especially used towards the easily offended ā€¦
Itā€™s horribleā€¦.there Iā€™m probably woke :wink:

3 Likes

It certainly has taken on negative connotations.
Sad that progressives are denigrated so vehemently.

1 Like

Its liberal fascism.

1 Like

Hi

It is not a word I like, I find it very overused.

3 Likes

I think the word ā€œwokeā€ is overused and frequently mis-used too.

Woke was officially added to the Oxford English Dictionary in 2017, defined as
ā€œoriginally: well-informed, up-to-date. Now chiefly: alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice.ā€

Being ā€˜wokeā€™ is not an insult ā€“ though people often try to manipulate its true definition and use it as an insult, to mock people or shut down discussions about social injustices.

Iā€™ve noticed a marked increase in the level of ā€œplayground-styleā€ name-calling insults in political discussions in the last decade too - just about every political group or politician seems to be referred to by insulting Nick-names these days.
Itā€™s a shame folk canā€™t have a grown up serious discussion without using all these insulting nick-names and unpleasant slang language.

4 Likes

Proud to be woke!

And total contempt for those who try to belittle it out of self-interest, politics and to suit there own agenda and privilege :rage:

Being woke means:

ā€œaware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)ā€

Surely thatā€™s what all decent human beings should aim to be?

Name calling like ā€œRemoanersā€ and making ā€œWokeā€ an insult are the trade mark of right wing populists to cover up their own policy failings and lack of morals or compassion and itā€™s shameful.

A bit like the shame of being a country that wants to opt out of Human Rights :rage:

They concentrate on what they see as the follies of ā€œwokeā€ to distract from the real problems theyā€™ve created and the way they despise and fear anything that demands social justice

And thank the lord for people like Marina Purkiss with te guts to call out the likes of Rees-Moggs for doing just that :muscle:t4:

3 Likes

I wish I could understand it in simple terms. Maybe Iā€™m just a simpleton.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never taken much notice.I usually disagree with the sort of people who use it as an insult so treat it as nonsense.

5 Likes

From what I have been able to glean from asking a multitude of people is; Those people who want change for the better - Woke - are despised by those who want to maintain the status quo.

2 Likes

I woke up this morning and perfectly understood the words my dog and I had pleasant conversation.

3 Likes

I have no empathy with the word whatsoever.
Iā€™m still struggling to come to terms with ists and isms.

3 Likes

At least it is not me!

1 Like

It is just another of those words the feeble minded use when they have no other argument. Joins the list of politically correct, do gooder etc

2 Likes

I could not agree more :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Iā€™m not a fan of Keir Starmer

But I think he got it spot on when he compared the anti-woke movement to Mcarthyism

Whipped up by the likes of the right wing GBNews and Laurence Fox, the Righties are trying to make being woke a dirty secret, to be hidden and denied and ashamed of

Something they will persecute and witch hunt you for

Instead of the fine thing to be proud of that it really is

Because if being Woke is to beā€¦ā€¦

ā€œaware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)ā€

ā€¦ā€¦ what does that say about the morals who think being like that is something to be ashamed of?

Presumably the AntiWoke brigade want us to be ā€¦ā€¦

ā€œUnaware of and deliberately inattentive to important societal facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)ā€

In other words, self-serving, prejudiced arses like them :rage:

Stand proud, Woke people, donā€™t let them them turn Woke into a dirty word or an opinion you feel you have to play down

2 Likes

It is an interesting thing that the conservative folk (small c) cannot use the word conservative enough, they talk of ā€œconservative valuesā€, ā€œconservative outlookā€, ā€œconservative economicsā€ etc. The word litters their rhetoric.

Yet liberal thinkers (again small l) rarely use the word liberal to describe the way they think or their attitude. It is almost as if they have been conned into thinking ā€œliberalā€ is a dirty word.