Camera battery chargers

Did you know you can get plates for a charger to fit different camera batteries as above

1 Like

I don’t use batteries, all my photos are taken with my iPad now. :slightly_smiling_face:

Mags
Having discovered “with difficulity I may add” that a couple of companies actully may different slot in plates ,at least for this make of charger. The manufactures don’t seem to , only third parties do. Of course in my case I can go on holiday with one charger with a plate for the Nikon camera in one side and another plate for the Sony camcorder in the other.
Having this lot of chargers is rediculous

Why so many
some will charge the same battery but if I need 2 batteries to charge at the same time then two chargers are needed

And yes it is a right mess so got to get things sorted better

1 Like

This looks more like me. I plug in all my batteries, and I’ve got more flashing lights than a Christmas tree. :grinning:

I’m sure that there’s not really any need for the huge variety, and not just with photographic stuff but in general.
It strikes me as being hugely wasteful.

Unfortunately, in photography very few batteries are interchangeable. Seems like every thing not only needs a different battery, you also, if you’re serious, carry spares. I myself have 5 batteries just for my camera, and another 5 for my TTL Flash.

1 Like

Oh I get it and I can believe it and even go some way to understanding it, but sheesh!

1 Like

Just ordered a double to replace a single as I have a couple more batteries on order. So time to have a sort out. made a longer plinth than the one I made before. Size 3 inches wide and just over 3 ft long and one a cut down block of 3x3 and 4 inch clearance underneath. This as in the photo below easily takes a 6 way switched gangsocket with room to add same to later if needed.

Then dymo stickers under each plug relevent to the charger below. Easy enough to make and keeps things tidy

1 Like

AS danny says it is a real pain but I have for my
Nikon D300 =3 batteries
Nikon d800/810 = 6 batteries will fit into either camera
Sony camcorder= 5 +2 one the way different sizes
Lumik compact = 3 batteries
Flash guns = AA batteries abouty 50 used for other stuff as well
remote control = AAA batteries about 20
Portable light for camera hotshoe or tripod =2
some cameras won’t accept 3rd party batteries (direct charge via camera) so have to use a charger instead

1 Like

Problem is most accessories require a specific battery type. They make no effort to make them universal, would cut profits. I also carry a 10pack of AAA and a 10 pack of AA. I’m not including the tablet I carry to use in certain instances, usually LE photography.
I always tell people photography is an expensive hobby to start, but once you’ve invested in equipment, other than some maintenance and the occasional replacement part issues, it is relatively $$ free.
I don’t tell them how much of a pain things like making sure batteries are charged, set up equipment (if using a tripod etc.), Tear down equipment, cleaning. Mainly, I don’t tell them because you get so used to it it becomes second nature, still a pain though.

Surely though not everything has to be charged up at the same time? Also, perhaps you need to ask yourself whether you really need so many different devices?

expensive? tell me about it. I made the common mistake of getting bottom of range of camera make. soon found out the limitations so got next up the range, then a new model goes on sale so what happens ? yes chasing the latest but no more . Lets go back to my very first camera a Kodak Brownie 127. Nothing but look through the viewfinder and press a button. No batteries to worry about only the cost of film developement. I really should sell my Nikon D300 and the D800 but no one would want to buy them . Too many cameras and lenses I suppose

1 Like

Barry you would think so and so would I initially. However it is usually impossible to change up a battery out on a days shoot down to the time it takes. Ok if you just want to take a snap I suppose but a camera with a dead battery is just a paper weight.
As for different devices that depends on what your taking and time of day and place. sometimes a camera taking a flash is not strong enough to light the subject so out comes a flashgun. Try doing a bounce light flash using just the camera, it can’t be done. so a flash gun needs power ie batteries. if you want to shoot by remote so as not to disturb then another set of batteries needed for the remote trigger.
So now you have 3 different type of batteries already. and that is just for one camera. Get another for videos and the battery number doubles

would you expect a chef to use just one knife fork and spoon to prepare a meal? no he would use different impliments to produce something worthy of his skills. Same with photography different bits of kit for different results

I suppose with that scenario though you must be static and taking photographs, such as in a hide watching wildlife or in a studio or something similar, I doubt if even you would cart that lot around whilst being a tourist, surely you would just pick one device that could do most things and leave it at that?

Hides are usually on site anyway , The thing is you go out intending to video or photograph a particular subject. So you take what is necessary for achieving what you set out for. On holiday a camcorder can easily fit in to a pocket . That is what I did in Egypt with my had over the pocket to stop pickpockets. The Nikon stayed on board ship this time . yet for sunsets over the Nile and the like the Nikon came into its own.
There is no big deal in carrying both this new sony is only 22.4 oz / 635 g with battery attached.a bag of sugar is heavier

How many people actually know the difference between these 2 types of battery chargers I wonder?
Apart from number of batteries they charge? they both charge AA and AAA batteries so what is different?
There is actually a huge difference apart from charging rates. It is all to do with the electrical circuits inside,

The one on the left and this type of charger only have one charging circuit. That means if one battery fails the rest won’t charge until that battery is replaced or removed.

Now the one on the right made b y MAHA each charging slot has its own circuit, so it one battery fails the others carry on charging. Of course it costs a lot more around £60 which some may find excessive but for me better that than trying to charge up 4 or 8 batteries that won’t charge due to one dud one.

now the double charger has come today I have now been able to organise better with a longer plinth if I ever want to add another 6 gang socket power unit

The last camera I bought, Panasonic GX80, came without any charger other than a USB cable. No worries, I bought a charger along with a spare battery from Ex-pro. Under a tenner for each item.

Just checked on an order for 2 batteries I place on the 6 sept for the camcorder. Just looked at the same seller web page and the price has gone up by ÂŁ10. Question of supply and demand ?

The great thing about lithium batteries is that they usually have their own protection circuits built in so as long as you can get the right voltage to them anything will charge them safely.