Caller ID - scamming by copying numbers?

I’ve been watching Rip-off Britain and was horrified to learn that scammers have now found a way of making Caller ID look as though a genuine caller is on the other end of my phone. How can this happen? I really cannot fathom how this can be done. Does any member understand what has been processed for this to occur on my telephone?

It is called “CLI Overstamping” and is common, legal and apparently easy to do (I don’t know how) If you use that term you can probably look up how it is done

CLI = Calling Line Identification

https://www.acma.gov.au/calling-line-identification-and-spoofing

1 Like

Yes I saw that too on Rip Off Britain. They called it ‘number spoofing’. Quite worrying really, those people getting scammed out of thousands of pounds, genuinely thinking they were talking to their bank.

Seems that we in the UK are lagging behind in tackling this issue. The network will be changing over to VoIP, which will enable the industry to stop number spoofing, but that could take another 4 years to be fully implemented.

1 Like

No wonder it’s now rife, there’s a site I found where 15 spoofing sites are actually recommended.
15 Best Websites for Free Unlimited Spoof Calling (Latest) - TechWhoop

We have to reset our Brains and remind ourselves that every call we get could well be a scam.

What should we tell, ourselves?

1. Never tell a caller any personal information or press any buttons at their request!
  2. Never give your name, or number, when you reply. Ask them who they want to speak to and what number they rang.
  3. Call the Company back, to query, but never call back inside half an hour.
  4. Use a telephone answering machine, if you use landline phones. Scammers rarely let you record them, or call you back.

Just a few thoughts!

3 Likes

There is only one certain way to stop scammers getting your cash and that is take the advice we are given, keep your account secure by way of passwords etc. and do not to deal with anyone who phones you unexpectedly. If that does happen then ignore whatever they are saying and insist on it being either put in writing by way of letter, email or preferably using the secure messaging option that the bank has provided on your online account. It’s only them and yourself who can access this option.

There are only two ways to access an account and that is by the account holder or the bank, if someone has to ask for bank details etc. then you know it’s not the bank, they already have all that information.

If whatever they are phoning you for is serious enough and you ignore it, you can be sure further action will be taken by the bank.

All good advice from Tedc in his previous post, it’s down to us and nobody else at the end of the day!
A good phrase to remember and repeat continually if a scammer does phone you is “I do not give out confidential information”.
:grinning:

1 Like

Good advice from Ted and Baz. I answered my landline recently, and when I said I don’t take cold calls they hung up before I could finish what I wanted to say. Rude. :grin:

I dismiss all unknown calls on the mobile and always usually let landline go to a/machine.

It has been going on here in the US for over 5 years. They make it look like a local area code, so it appears near you. Sometimes the caller ID shows up as your neighbor’s name. Our phones allow you to choose “unknown caller” so the number can’t be recognized, or you can choose any ID you wish.
The ones that show up as a 410, or 407 or some such we know is off shore. They are too lazy to make it look legit.
We simply don’t answer if we don’t recognize the number, or aren’t expecting a caller. If it is legit, they leave us a message, and we promptly return the call.

This ability to present yourself as calling from a different number has existed for years.

GHreat advice. Either that or call back from a different phone number. As if the person at the other end does not put their phone down the line can remain open. So you dial & simply get the same people, who called you last time.

The above trick also helps us. If I receive a unwanted call to my home number. I never put the phone back onto the hook. I leave it an open line. That messes them up.

I keep a dog whistle next to our phone for just this occasion. A good blast from that and then hang up.

1 Like

Surely unless it is a dog calling you they won’t be able to hear the whistle?

Anyway phone lines have a very limited bandwidth so the most of the frequencies of an ordinary whistle are lost never mind one above human hearing

My sheep dog whistle is deafening.

As I recall frequencies above 3K are not transmitted over a phone line and also they clip loud noises. Waste of time in my opinion, you are more likely to damage your hearing than the callers.

1 Like

I do not use it to whistle down the phone. Its mainly used for recalling/directing my nearest daughters border collie.

This was mentioned once before on the forum (old OFF) and I’m certain someone said that it might be illegal to use a whistle down the phone. :astonished: If I am unfortunate enough to get cornered by these people, I just ask them to give me a minute while to go and fetch the information, and lay the phone down while I go and do something more interesting.

I don’t know if it is illegal (I doubt it) but it is pointless. Your method is much better, I never answer my landline so it is never a problem for me.

Sorry I misunderstood but if it is that loud wear earplugs

Well…it was suggested at the time of the conversation, that should a shrill whistle in someone’s ear, cause a hearing problem…would you be liable? Its a valid point (I think anyway), which is why I wouldn’t do it anymore.

As I say it is unlikely you would damage the callers hearing because the line itself would limit the volume and frequency range, it is more likely to damage the hearing of the person using the whistle because they get the full unattenuated benefit of the blast.

Yes, I agree. :+1:

My hearing is already damaged by spending far too long in front of amplifier stacks when playing and running my band. I now sport excellent hearing aids that automatically modulate when loud sounds are detected.