California to become 1st state to offer free school lunches for all students

• I think this is great! No stigma attached, no bullying, or hassle because its free, no children going hungry because of the cost of living crisis going on.

• I remember getting free lunches when at school and I had a yellow ticket to signify it was a “freebie”, gosh I was so embarrassed.

2 Likes

I had free school meals, no embarrasment at all, I’ve known poor.

3 Likes

You know what kids are like though at that age… :roll_eyes: Anything to have a go at you.

When I went to California many years ago I saw the fattest kids I had ever seen they looked like the Michelin man.

1 Like

That didn’t happen at my school not as far as I know no one ever bothered about it .

1 Like

I’m struggling to remember if I had free school meals or not, I think I did.
I went to school in Stepney, anyone who got a bit superior would have risked getting a slap for being flash :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same here Caricature…I always had free meals no problems for me but I hated being one of the kids who had to have a spoonful of Codliver Oil in front of the whole class…there again who would relish having to take Codliver Oil…yuk!

2 Likes

Thats disgusting Summer! At least let them suffer it in private! :joy:

1 Like

I went to a grammar school…they were probably repressed. :roll_eyes:

I never had free school meals! I know they existed but , in honesty, nobody ever knew who was getting them unless the children told you.
I played with children I liked, not the ones whose parents could pay for their dinners, but I think that child nutrition plays a big part in keeping them healthy, so if all the kids get free dinners it is good.
With both parents having to work, these days, it means that all children get the chance of at least one meal a day.
At the end of the day, doesn’t it just mean that we are all making a small contribution to keeping the next generation healthy!

3 Likes

Exactly, I think its a great scheme. It helps that it is subsidised by the government too, so it isn’t too much for the school to pay for.

I ended up taking packed lunches to school…probably better for me anyway!

1 Like

That made me smile because my mum used to buy butter, but as a child I hated butter & insisted on Blue Band margarine on my sandwiches. Occasionally my mum put stork on them( which I hated) so I insisted on school lunches!
I learned to like butter later in life, so I am now trying to discipline myself to put Utterly Butterly on my sandwiches & not butter! :laughing:

1 Like

OMG Happened to me as well, hated it.

Had forgotten all about that. :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Sounds like Dotheboys Hall I must have gone to kinder schools .

What’s this cod liver oil thing about? Was it a punishment or something?

It is supposed to be good for you, but no child would believe that when it makes them feel sick when it goes in your mouth.

6 health benefits of cod liver oil

1. Supports heart health

2. Mood boosting

3. May support improved memory

4. Supports bone health

5. Good for your liver

6. May be beneficial for rheumatoid arthritis

Sounds vile.

You can get it in capsule form now, so you don’t taste it! :rofl:

Mmm, sorry but not keen

There could be children from wealthy and millionaire families getting a free meal, who’s parents can well afford to feed them

It says it gets paid for by state and federal funding

So that means poor working families paying their taxes and just getting by are partially funding free meals for children from wealthy families

And that the state and federal funds are being used that could be directed to something else

Times are tough everywhere and I think help should be directed towards the poorest, not universal

What a relief. Since my current situation is that there’s approx 95% that I’ll regurgitate it and hence possible taste it after the casing has dissolved, I think ill give it a miss for the foreseeable :joy::joy:

1 Like