Button batteries

UPDATE renewal of car key fob batteries
Stupid I can’t put into previous postings on the subject so have to start a new one

Out of interest

The first CR2032 button batteries for the Nissan lasted about 5 years and just had to replace them after about another 5+ years. This seems to be the life span using the Duracell make.
So if you have not replaced recently then check when last changed so you don’t get locked out or unable to start your car. One sign is the message on the dashboard that the key is not recognised, so now the time to replace

update
The fom does contain a key to get into the car

done research and even if the keyfob battery is dead it seems that by holding the fob on the start button will start the engine with clutch peddle depressed

The key in my current car is coming up for eight years old, still going strong.

I thought car key fobs could be used manually … the old way, as in, inserted in the door lock, boot or ignition.

I don’t think so, They would unlock the steering, doors etc but I think the computer has to recognise the key electronically before it will allow the car to start. I might have read that in the manual, not sure

1 Like

Ah, I could be wrong but I could have sworn that years ago when Mr M’s Vauxhall Vectra’s fob battery went flat he just fitted and used a key manually that was kept in a compartment inside the fob…
When he got a new battery at the garage they had to synchronise the car and reset it though, but that was more to do with the steering lock and alarm.
I’m probably wrong.

When the battery on my key fob needs replacing, a message comes up on the dashboard of my car advising me that the key fob battery needs replacing - that message continues to come up every time I use the key fob until I replace the battery.
I guess the battery would give up the ghost eventually but I haven’t ignored the message long to find out how long it would take - I think I changed the battery within a week or so last time.I started getting that message.
I still had the spare key fob to fall back on, so I wasn’t too worried about it.

Today I did have a look at the battery in my key, it is a 1620 so I will buy a spare and keep it in the tray of my car for emergencies. As I say it is nearly eight years old. Come to think of it they did supply a spare key and a plain key, I must find out what I did with them.