But it's still Meat!

Seems the older I get, my liking for meat becomes less, yes I eat and like meat, some of my favourite meals I love to cook will have meat in them, even though I hate touching raw meat.

I know why, like seeing a chicken being carved, the skin, limbs and bones will dull my chicken appetite, but served sliced in a fresh roll…… I could eat another one.

Latest fad here is a Hog roast, small pig about medium to large dog size, my friend was guest to one of these do’s, he told me this Pig complete was presented upon a large platter and placed upon the serving table, for everyone to admire/drool before being carved and served.

Now I know, and I like crackling, having seen that, I couldn’t/wouldn’t be able to eat it, but not seeing and it, if I were served a piece of crackling I probably would have enjoyed it

I been told there are plenty like me, who only cook/eat cellophane meat from the supermarkets.

Are there any other members like myself, or would seeing meat with a face not bother you

I look back recalling the Butchers, Pigs head apple in mouth chickens still with heads, trotters, tripe and offal all on display along with your chops and bacon rashers

Would/are these displays still acceptable in today’s anti this and that society…Would our kids eat chitterlings today as a treat.

Ooooo! Tasty. I do love spit-roasted suckling pig.

I like meats. But I don’t like fat, skin, crackling, bones, or dark meat. I guess I’m just a furry eater.

You animal you…Just kidding Percy

But tell me, when you look across a field and see a Pig rolling around, do you think

" Ooooo!! I could eat that now " :laughing:

What about a Face …

It had a face before the slaughter house did it’s job, so why would it bother me. I have a tendency towards anaemia and as I cannot tolerate any of the prescribed NHS iron tablets/injections, meat plus iron rich vegetables are my only source. Face or no face, I need meat.

You mean face like cheek meat?
Not wild about that either.

I was at the race course where a burger van was also selling Crocodile and Boa burgers. I thought it was obviously a wind up, everything he said advertised was genuine.

My friend tried/had the crocodile burger, he said it was okay, nothing special, a bit different.

A friend, Somali and his favourite meat is Camel, not always available, again not for me.

I wonder if the meat eaters of the UK would be horrified if Dogs were farmed for meat, or Rats, quick to multiply and grow, considered a tasty delicacy in other countries, is/would it be the animal or the cost that would put manufacturers and public off

I’m sure many if they didn’t know what they were eating might possibly enjoy it, but they buy it

We had alligator steak in USA. Ver nice too - a bit like prawns but larger. And cray fish in Hoot Bay.

@Besoeker , Hoot bay , toowit. toowoo ?
Donkeyman! :+1::grin::grin::+1:

1 Like

Yes, it’s near Cape Town. I took the kids on holiday there.

1 Like

@Besoeker , That must have been a hoot ??
Donkeyman! :grin::grin:

1 Like

I am not a fan of meat…I’ll have mince sometimes, but not often. I enjoyed a bacon butty like most, but not now…no lamb, chicken or turkey. I just can’t do it anymore…having said that, if I was absolutely starving, I would…but while I can make the choice, I choose not to.

No @marciniak , seeing my meat with a face wouldn’t bother me in the slightest and although I have meat-free days I wouldn’t voluntarily do without meat on a permanent basis, because to be honest I love the stuff … well, apart from turkey.

In the (distant) past I’ve skinned and gutted rabbits, hares and even deer and I’ve plucked & prepared chicken, pheasant, goose and duck. Although I certainly wouldn’t trust myself to do such things nowadays of my own volition, if necessity demanded it I could probably manage albeit far more slowly and wastefully than would be ideal.

It was. I think I spent about four months in SA at various times.

1 Like

On the meat score…
I spent months in Taiwan. It happened to be Chinese New Year while I was there. They like dog meat. My next door neighbour had Chows, beautiful they were. But he kept them in his garage for the festivities.

:slightly_smiling_face:

It is not hoot, it’s Hout pronounced : Hoe+ T

direct translation to English = Wood

saunters off

As an honorary South African, I know that you know that it’s Hout Bay!

Best fish n chips on the planet

We have meat most days, I like to think I could live without it but it’s difficult to find a satisfying substitute.

Yeah, I’ve tried extra veg, lentils, beans, couscous, etc instead of chicken in my chicken curry but doesn’t cut the mustard.