Bushfires have started early in Australia

Already there are wide spread fires burning across Australia.
Warnings have been issued for an increased bushfire season.
Look at this incredible photograph of dry lightning in Queensland. Dry thunderstorms start many, many of our bushfires.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-26/qld-bushfires-homes-destroyed-tara-deaths-fire/103023352

:astonished: Wow what a stunning photo.
I always think about the wildlife when I hear about wildfires but I’m sorry to hear about the two people that have already lost their lives. Living through something like this must be terrifying.

1 Like

A dry lightning storm hit Allora overnight. Similar storms caused havoc in Tara.

Whoa … :scream:

2 Likes

I had to change my plans during my Uluru trip. We had intended to return via Alice Springs, Threeways and Queensland but both the Stuart Highway and the Barkly Highway were closed due to bushfires at Tennant Creek and Barkly Shire. Could have waited it out but decide to return home the way we came.

1 Like

Yes, much wildlife is decimated in fires. But a whole lot of wildlife flee before the fire reached their habitat.
Sadly slow moving animals like Koalas do not have a chance.

I watched a farmer on the news last year speaking about the bushfires in Aus, and he said that most of them were our own fault after changing farming techniques. Apparently they used to do controlled burning to restore the land and ease the wild fire risk…

1 Like

They still do but burns have to be done under the right conditions, some of the disastrous 2019/20 bushfires were caused by containment backburns gone wrong. There have always been complaints that not enough burns have been carried out but there are only limited personnel to control them.

You have to remember farmers complain about everything, too wet, too dry, too hot, too cold, too many mice, too many dingoes, too many fires, not enough fires…

The warming climate has reduced the window for such burns.

2 Likes