Bus driver helps wheelchair user

Bus driver picks up a disabled woman and her pet into the bus and then even returns her back onto her wheel chair.

4 Likes

Absolutely brilliant. That’s what I call dedication to the job.
When I worked on the post, there were some postmen and women who would go the extra mile to help customers. After delivering my post I was driving back to the sorting office when I spotted someone waiting at the bus stop. I had tried to deliver several parcels to their house during my round, because they needed a signature I couldn’t leave them.
I turned the van around and took them home and delivered all of their parcels. I think they worked for a catalogue and got lots of parcels. I’d rather deliver all my parcels if I could, rather than take them back to the office.

3 Likes

Seems very old fashioned way of doing things in this accessibility mad age.

Wollongong buses lower themselves to the curb and have two marked places where the seats fold up to accommodate people in wheelchairs and electric mobility scooters. Users can do it all for themselves, as they should be able to.

1 Like

The curbs are the same here Bruce. The bus front suspension lowers to bring the bus to more or less the same level as the raised curb. Also, the busses have ramps that can be folded out so that the person in the chair can be pushed up over the gap.

Although the bus shown doesn’t appear to have one of those, it looks like it still would be possible for the driver to tilt the chair back enough to get the front wheels and then the back ones and then let the person wheel the chair into the space provided.

2 Likes