Buffy Sainte-Marie denies allegations she misled public about Indigenous ancestry

Folk singer and social justice advocate Buffy Sainte-Marie has denied allegations that she misled the public about her Indigenous ancestry, after a Canadian documentary questioned the “shifting narrative” surrounding her Cree roots.

On Friday, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation’s investigative wing, the Fifth Estate, published an investigation into the singer’s ancestry, alleging her life story is part of a broader narrative “full of inconsistencies and inaccuracies”.

The controversial report from the national broadcaster comes after a string of high-profile “pretendian” allegations that raise broader questions about the appropriation of Indigenous identity.

Sainte-Marie’s website describes herself as a “Cree singer-songwriter” who is “believed to have been born” in 1941 on the Piapot First Nation reserve in Saskatchewan. She was reportedly taken from her biological parents when she was an infant and raised by a white family in the US. The singer has previously said that a hospital fire destroyed her birth records.

Buffy Sainte Marie
But the CBC, citing interviews with Sainte-Marie’s family and a birth certificate, suggests there is evidence she was born in Stoneham, Massachusetts, and has no Indigenous ancestry.

“She wasn’t born in Canada … She’s clearly born in the United States,” Heidi St. Marie, daughter of Sainte-Marie’s older brother, Alan, told the CBC. “She’s clearly not Indigenous or Native American.”

Ahead of the report, Sainte-Marie released a statement on Thursday, calling the allegations “deeply hurtful”.

“I have always struggled to answer questions about who I am,” she said. “Through that research what became clear, and what I’ve always been honest about, is that I don’t know where I’m from or who my birth parents were, and I will never know.”

Buffy Sainte-Marie, CC is an American–Canadian singer-songwriter, musician, composer, visual artist, educator, pacifist, and social activist. While working in these areas, her work has focused on issues facing Indigenous peoples of the Americas.

Her singing and writing repertoire also includes subjects of love, war, religion, and mysticism. She has won recognition, awards and honours for her music as well as her work in education and social activism. In 1983, her song “Up Where We Belong”, co-written for the film An Officer and a Gentleman, won the Academy Award for Best Original Song at the 55th Academy Awards. The song also won the Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song that same year. In 1997, she founded the Cradleboard Teaching Project, an educational curriculum devoted to better understanding Native Americans.

In her early twenties she spent a considerable amount of time in the coffeehouses of downtown Toronto’s old Yorkville district, and New York City’s Greenwich Village as part of the early to mid-1960s folk scene, often alongside other emerging Canadian contemporaries, such as Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, and Joni Mitchell.

In 1963, recovering from a throat infection, Sainte-Marie became addicted to codeine and recovering from the experience became the basis of her song “Cod’ine”, later covered by Donovan, Janis Joplin, the Charlatans, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Man, and Gram Parsons. Also in 1963, she witnessed wounded soldiers returning from the Vietnam War at a time when the U.S. government was denying involvement – which inspired her protest song “Universal Soldier”, released on her debut album It’s My Way on Vanguard Records in 1964, and later became a hit for both Donovan and Glen Campbell.

Sainte-Marie was subsequently named Billboard magazine’s Best New Artist. Some of her songs addressing the mistreatment of Native Americans, such as “Now That the Buffalo’s Gone” (1964) and “My Country 'Tis of Thy People You’re Dying” (1964, included on her 1966 album), created controversy at the time. She sang the theme song of the movie Soldier Blue (1970) and sang the opening song “The Circle Game” (written by Joni Mitchell in Stuart Hagmann’s film The Strawberry Statement (1970).

To say that I am astounded at the allegations is an understatement. Buffy Sainte-Marie’s activities and music of the 1960’s were part of my alternative “tertiary education” … sex, drugs, rock’n’roll … and protest … :035:

Maintaining a lifetime of “pretence” and achievement is probably more common than I know but the only example that springs to my mind is “Grey Owl”:

All I know about her is that she sang ‘Soldier Blue’. A ‘different’ sort of voice…

2 Likes

It was all such a long time ago, but I seem to remember it was common knowledge, back then, that she’s an injun.

The film Soldier Blues (she wrote the song) is about Indian massacre, rape, butchery. “This is my country”, she repeats through the song,

Not only that, she looks like one.

3 Likes

Thumbnail:

Who is the real Buffy Sainte-Marie? (follow link for a very long article)

An Indigenous icon for 60 years

Sainte-Marie rose to fame in the early 1960s. She launched her career alongside folk artists like Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen and Joni Mitchell. Her songs were covered by Elvis, Barbra Streisand and Glen Campbell, to name a few.

A New York Times article from 1963 described Sainte-Marie as “an Indian girl” who was “one of the most promising new talents on the folk scene today.”

In 1964, she was named Billboard Magazine’s best new artist of the year. The Brantford Expositor quoted her as saying: “My main aim is some day to be the world’s best Indian girl singer.”

Sainte-Marie’s growing fame in the 1960s and 1970s coincided with a critical moment for Indigenous issues in the U.S., said Prof. Kim TallBear.

“This is a moment when you see Native issues are beginning to come more into the public consciousness, as you see these red power and Black power social movements … where people that have been silenced for so long are suddenly in the news.”

TallBear said Sainte-Marie’s “long black hair and this kind of exotic sort of image she’s cultivating,” combined with her claim of being Indigenous, “greatly elevated her career and her visibility.”

“I’m not saying she’s not talented,” said TallBear. “But she is very much this representative image of a Native American singer.”

Transition and turmoil

By the mid-1970s, Sainte-Marie’s career was in transition. At the same time, behind the scenes, there was growing family turmoil and questions about her identity.

Sainte-Marie’s brother

According to an article in the Globe and Mail in 1975, her long-term contract with her record label had ended the previous year, and she was trying to shift from folk music to rock, country and pop. However, she was having a tough time selling records and concert tickets.

Then Sesame Street came along.

According to a Children’s Television Workshop quarterly report, in early 1975, she began talking with the executive producer of the PBS program about how it “could best approach its first presentations of Native American Indians.” Sainte-Marie was to play a starring role.

When Buffy Sainte-Marie strolled onto Sesame Street in 1975, she was making history. The Dec. 9 episode was the launch of the program’s efforts to present Indigenous culture to millions of viewers. Sainte-Marie opened her backpack and showed off an array of Indigenous jewelry and beadwork to an eager group of children and adults.

“This is Cree Indian,” Sainte-Marie said, holding out a pair of beaded moccasins. “Cree Indians are my tribe, and we live in Canada.”

One little boy piped up. “My sister read me a story about Indians.”

“Was it a real story about Indians or was it a fairy tale?” Sainte-Marie asked, noting “some are just pretend and some are real.”

“I’m real,” she said with a grin. (1)

She is considered the first Indigenous person to win an Oscar, which she was awarded in 1983, for co-writing Up Where We Belong for the movie An Officer and a Gentleman . She’s also the recipient of numerous Indigenous music awards, including four Canadian Aboriginal Music Awards, two Aboriginal Peoples’ Choice Music Awards, four Junos designated for Indigenous people and four Indigenous lifetime achievement awards.

In recent weeks, Sainte-Marie has backtracked from central claims she made through much of her career.

In the September letter to CBC, Sainte-Marie’s lawyer, Josephine de Whytell, said the artist “has never claimed to know exactly where she is from.”

Sainte-Marie told her 2018 biographer that she has struggled with her identity for years and never really knew where she belonged. “The conclusion that I finally came to is that I had been lucky to have two families,” she said. “In each of those families, I may or may not be a blood relative.” (2)

(1) … or is she … ?

(2) Well, that’s vague enough … :roll_eyes: