Budget do you?

My thoughts with all the price rises etc etc you cannot escape even if you do the same as last year seems you will be paying more. So my question although in reality everyone has a budget we all have a set amount be it from wages, pension(s), investments, benefits etc.
So have you made a conscious effort to recalculate or budget?
What have you done that may be worth sharing?
Money/food/days out saving or otherwise?

Even the way you plan your money an account, box, for this and that etc

had a second woodburning stove fitted a few weeks ago and with two we should be almost independent of outside heat supply for winter as new stove is piped to hot tank for water and bathroom radiator plus some in bedrooms too. always plentiful supply of wood and that makes me happy.

Hi

Money all arrives in one account.

I then put an amount each month into the house keeping account, different bank, money only ever goes out to pay for TV licence, house and car insurance council tax,water, gas and electric etc.

All the bills in one place and amount going in is varied according to the rising costs of the bills.

The food etc Money stays in the main account.

I fill the car up and take the food and house essential money, including money for my helpers out in cash and into envelopes.

What is left in the bank is spending money and saving money.

The spending money is taken out in cash into my wallet and that is that.

When the wallet money is gone It’s gone and I spend more that month.

I have a separate fund for emergency use, such as running out of maggots :+1:

I tend to keep away from shops these days and live off what is in my three freezers. I just buy milk, butter and fresh fruit and vegetables.
Eating out of my freezers also reduces my stocks, so that l can get rid of one the freezers to reduce my electricity bill.

How did l come to this?

1 Like

I think its sensible to get shot of a freezer Artangel. its only recently i took note of how much a large chest freezer uses electricwise and it surprised me.

1 Like

Hedgehopper, This one is a fridge freezer. I am not sure if they use more electricity than a chest one?
There is hardly anything in the fridge, just in the freezer part.
This mainly contains fruit ie. raspberries, blackberries, gooseberries and redcurrants that l have grown in the garden, so l may make jam with them.

1 Like

Budgetting in our house is easy. Ever tried to open OH purse without a crowbar?

1 Like

my household appliance book advises that an upright freezer will consume more that a chest unit as the cold air is more contained in the chest.

1 Like

Thank You for the info.
I’d better get emptying it, very soon!!

1 Like

Top tip…If you lay your upright freezer down on its back, it’ll become a chest freezer. :grin::wink:

3 Likes

Actually, I think I will burn my three piece suite to keep warm and use the ‘on its side’ fridge freezer as a settee…

2 Likes

For a good few months, I have aimed to save a third of my monthly income. One third to go on the usual bills (the direct debits), and the remaining third for general spending and food shopping, and the odd bill that occurs (this week I have dog groom and I am expecting the window cleaner.)

Tried to give myself a weekly spend budget, but that sometimes goes out of the window, especially as I have booked and paid for the three night caravan stay for my birthday.

Pull back on many treats. Check prices of SM items before buying. Older sister said she moved away from the Tescos till today, had 1&1/2 bags of shopping, checked her receipt and it was >£50. She thought, how?

1 Like

what are these SM items Jazzi? i struggle with some of english.

Apologies, supermarket.

1 Like

My Budgeting may sound complicated but it works.

I cannot be having with owing money.

My way of budgeting is almost identical to yours always worked for me but I have my trusty little cash book as well as my piggyback accounts.

I pay bills by direct debit.
Buy what need or want.