Buckingham Palace Tour - Review

Looks as though some improvements are needed; urgently.

1 Like

I went to Buckingham Palace some years ago with Hubby on a Coach trip.

I remember the waiting in queue before entering , getting the head phones , putting them on and going up the thick piled carpeted stairs ,
I made a remark about the thickness to which my hubby lifted my headphones from my head and said , yer talking loud .
I remember the Throne room , and we was going round at our lesuire, no one hurrying us at all ,
There was a Palace Staff person in each room , so there was no chance of taking a photo .
it was all very relaxed though . and i gawped at what was on show .

It all became crowded and no movement when we got to the special room of that years exhibit which was Faberge Eggs .
It was a darkened room and no one seemed to move away from the glass cabinets so I gave up in the end , and moved on dissapointed…
I think it was at this Palace that there was a Dolls House repleca of the Palace .
We came out into the refreshment tent . as we queued I could see there was no tables to spare , so we just got a sandwich and cuppa T . left the Tent and we was on those Steps down to the lawned area .
I was not in the best of health so sat on the steps , and started to eat my Sandwich .
Goodness a Palace Staff was soon breathing down my neck , "you cannot sit there its a saftey hazard " With a mouthful of food I rose from said step sandwich in one hand cup in other almost shaking at the thought of "what if i suddenly fall down , Ive no hand free .

I made it to the bottom of steps to be stared at by another member of Staff who was making sure no one sat on the Lawn .it was roped off ,to make doubley sure .

I walked a distance before we saw someone rise from a bench , it was almost a gallop to bag that bench before anyone else did …

Overall it was not the way to treat Visitors . I was brought up to not walk around with food in hand eating … So i think it would have been an improvement to have more seating .

But I suppose it was a way of not letting you overstay your welcome .

I have also been to Kensington Palace , but thats another story .

2 Likes

I went with hubby to one of the garden parties …I remember on the invitation it requested that ladies should wear a hat…I thought that was so ridiculous especially when I saw none of the royals were wearing one except the queen

I was disappointed with the limited bits of the Palace I saw…especially the gardens which didn’t seem well tended…quite a lot of weeds especially around the lake at the back…the food was lovely :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I went to a Buckingham Palace garden party years ago with my late wife. She bought a hat from Hanningtons department store in Brighton.

The garden party was thoroughly enjoyable, sipping on iced coffee while listening to a military band and people watching.

I’ve never been invited back, maybe I lowered the tone :wink:

1 Like

Is an invitation random or charity work, some contribution you have made for which you are being acknowledged.

Hi

The Buckingham Palace Tour is a complete waste of money.

1 Like

Buckingham Palace itself is not comparable with other stately homes. Weston Park, Shropshire is one of the better and cheaper places for all ages.

Sandringham gardens are lovely but the house I found rather depressing.

Osborne House on Isle of Wight worth a visit.

Whitley Court a ruin but still glorious.

Osborne on the Isle of Wight is gorgeous now managed by English Heritage. King Charles is still the only trustee .

1 Like