BT to cut 55,000 jobs with up to a fifth replaced by AI

Telecoms giant BT is to cut up to 55,000 jobs in the UK and globally by the end of the decade as it cuts costs.

Up to a fifth of those cuts will come in customer services as staff are replaced by technologies including artificial intelligence. The headcount reduction from the current workforce of 130,000 includes staff and contractors.

Chief executive Philip Jansen said “generative AI” tools such as ChatGPT - which can write essays, scripts, poems, and solve computer coding in a human-like way - “gives us confidence we can go even further.”

The firm is currently continuing to expand its fibre network as it moves away from copper and that once that work is complete, it said it would not need as many staff to build and maintain its networks.

The BT announcement was made as it reported a 12% drop in profits of £1.7bn for the year to April.

Vodafone is also axing staff over the next three years, equating to 11,000 jobs

AI will be on the Help Line soon … :wink:

1 Like

That really happening because I’m leaving BT going to Sky this August :wink:

1 Like

The straw that breaks the camel’s back … :scream:

1 Like

and this is the age of A I when we could all sit back stay at home and relax and watch the machines do all the work - great bring it all on!!

Just make sure the AI ain’t equipped with there own solar panels, or, that could be part of the conspiracy, global warming, more sunshine, more constant autonomus power for the AI :grin:

I left BT not just as a customer but also as an engineer. NO fibre optic service from BT in the near future at our local exchange. Strange as a private company has done so.

I doubt if you’ll regret thje move. I’m with NOW which is a rebadged SKY outlet, and I’ve been 100% happy since day 1 of the move. I get excellent broadband, line rental AND all of my UK phone calls inc UK mobiles for £21 monthly …what’s not to like :grin: