BT switching off analogue

1 Like

I am already a Digital Voice user … :+1:

So is my older sister and says she has lost her answering facility. Plus when she and I were trying to talk yesterday the line was bubbly.

I was switched over to Digital Voice a couple of months ago by Zen Internet. No problems at all with the change, and I have a lower rental charge to boot. :smiley:

1 Like

I’m with Zen, too … :+1:

1 Like

We’ve got a landline at the moment but when it changes to digital we’ll probably give it up and just use our mobiles

Because I can’t see much advantage to keeping it, other than having a traditional style number to give out?

It goes off if the power goes off, and doesn’t work if your broadband goes down?

And there are loads of ways of making free calls over your internet from your mobile?

1 Like

this is bad news. With analogue the phone works even if the power goes down. If it’s via a router then you are totally isolated if you haven’t charged a mobile, or if there is no signal/internet. Plus it means trailing wires to somewhere else in the house to plug into a router. I am assuming someone will pay for someone to put a socket in if needed.

How will digital voice services be connected to my home?

If you’re simply migrating to a digital phone line without upgrading to full fibre, then there won’t be any change to the physical infrastructure. Your service will work using the wiring that’s already in place - it’ll simply be a case of connecting your phone via your router.

Upgrading to full fibre services has more of an impact because fibre optic cables need to be installed through to your home. An engineer visit will always be required to set up the service which will be connected using either overground or underground cables.

1 Like

A mobile phone works whether the power is on or not, can be charged in your car or by power bank, can use any network in an emergency and is portable. I really can’t understand the attachment to a fixed phone line or why anyone would want one. If you are desperate a UPS can maintain your digital line anyway.

Does anybody still use their mangle or washboard?

Of more concern is the 3G network being turned off over the next 6 to 12 months. I have a drawer full of phones that will become obsolete.

Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice … :man_shrugging:

Those with mobiles can do without landlines - those with landlines only can be accommodated:

What if I don’t have or want a broadband connection?

Those who currently only have a landline won’t be forced to pay for broadband services that they don’t want or need. Their digital phone service will work using a special dedicated broadband connection and shouldn’t cost any more than what they pay now. BT has made a specific commitment to telecoms regulator Ofcom that its customers will pay the same amount, and Virgin Media says its voice-only customers will get the hub necessary for its digital phone services at no additional cost.

I’ve been digital for nearly 10 years now, with one of these connected to my home hub (router). Far superior sound quality.

The AI’s at it again :laughing:

Mrs d00d’s sister in Portugal has a mobile deal giving free calls to UK landlines after 9pm. That now seems to be the only reason we have a landline number.

Our internet went down for a couple of days a week or so ago, some folks assumed I was dead, god help us when the landline goes :laughing: :laughing:

2 Likes

I guess you have more faith in the internet & long term lithium supply than I do. People who have a poor signal/internet connection will be compromised. This is still a problem in parts of the UK. We are all being forced to be connected to the net whether we like it or not. It seems you can no longer live normally without being plugged in. I am trying to understand how you use this new tech without a router. It’s not too clear. I’m pretty sure that they will maintain copper connections for those higher ups who want privacy and a reliable, power-proof connection.

Well said AnnieS, if wishes were horses then beggars would ride :smiley:

1 Like

They only recently installed fibre here after NTL missed some roads out due to cost 20 or more years ago. Until about a year and a half ago the internet was connected via the landline. Many people in the UK still don’t have a local fibre network. So if they don’t have a good mobile signal what happens to them? I have also kept the landline phone for international call deals and because so many people have that number. There’s no way to retrieve data from an old mobile number so if people contact you and the contract ends you are cut off from them. But they always had the landline as a backup.

There are plenty of ways.

For a start your contact list can be exported as a file which can be saved on a computer or a usb stick and imported to another phone. Back up your phone as you would your home computer

Contacts > Menu > Manage Contacts > Export Contacts

But by far the best way - Google keeps all that data for you, sign in with a new phone and Mr Google asks if you want to make the new phone just like the last. (I presume the iphone has a similar feature).

We can sell you lithium to ease your concerns but I have no doubt battery technology will move on

I no longer have a landline phone as its cheaper to use a mobile .

My landline comes as part of my broadband package, so it doesn’t cost me anything to keep it at present. I can’t see the point in changing it at present.

Currently, BT only have only got as far as FTTC in my village (Fibre to the Cabinet in the street, so the broadband connection from the Cabinet to each home still travels along the same copper wiring as the landline connection. )
Whichever Broadband provider we choose, it all comes down the old copper wires from the same cabinet.
There is one full Fibre broadband provider, which has laid its own cables down the street at the end of my driveway. They could bring a full Fibre cable to my house but it costs much more per month for Broadband and they charge extra per month to have a phone connected to it.

I think I’d rather wait until BT roll out the new Fibre cabling to every customer and then decide on the best package for me. That probably won’t be until at least Summer 2024 in this area.
If it would cost me more per month to add a phone to the broadband router, I won’t bother having a landline at all.
I use my mobile phone most of the time anyway and find it more flexible and useful.
Only 1 person I know contacts me via the landline and I use my landline to contact her because I know she is “suspicious” of mobile phones. The rest of the calls to my landline are mostly cold callers and scammers, which get fielded by my answerphone.

Bruce I meant that when you change your mobile number and terminate the contract, anyone who tries to phone you after that, texts they send etc will be lost. You won’t know who is trying to reach you, but if you still have a landline and they have that number you have another way to get in touch. Some people for whatever reason don’t use computers and still keep numbers noted down in an address book.

ps I know all about transferring from one mob to another. I even replaced a broken screen on a smartphone a few years ago using a you tube video tutorial. This was just so that I could retrieve photos and contacts as I don’t want to have them on the cloud. I have an external hard drive for backing up the computers. I do keep some photos on google but that’s a recent thing. I don’t like the idea of storing personal official documents and correspondence on a virtual server.