Brown crabs mesmerised by underwater power cables for renewable energy sources

Medical treatment means people and animals are living longer and cancers are a mutation of old age.

Sorry, cant agree with that Bruce, because young people and animals get cancer too, it doesnt just happen in old age at all.

That is true but only a very small percentage of the young population gets cancer and is there any evidence that this is increasing as a percentage? there are many paintings from the Renaissance showing young people with obvious cancer symptoms so it could well be that diagnosis is better because of medical improvements

That is a fact Mups for sure…old age is not the criteria, people should know those
facts

All cancers combined incidence rates have increased overall in all broad age groups in females and males combined in the UK since the early 1990s.[1-4] Rates in 0-24s have increased by 19%, in 25-49s have increased by 22%, in 50-74s have increased by 13% and in 75+s have increased by 9%.

That is incorrect. Old age most certainly is the main criteria for a cancer diagnosis.

It is also true to say that improvements in medical treatment have enabled people who would have previously died before reaching breeding age are now living longer and are passing on defective genes to their offspring bypassing a facet of evolution

1 Like

Thankyou for that Dianne.

I do know there are many, many dogs with cancers now too, and not all elderley dogs either.

Guess your quotes are not as my quotes. I do try to quote good links…but at the end of the day we can only go by what we read and hear…I dont need to be right or wrong actually.
What is obvious there is more incidents of Cancers.

Years ago we had one in the family…as time has passed not many have not had Cancer.

Grandad’s
Father
Sister
Daughter

Years ago we had one incident of Cancer with a family member
Now looking back
Grand dad Lung Cancer
Grand dad Bladder Cancer

Father Stomach Cancer

Sister Breast Cancer

Daughter Breast Cancer

@Bruce , haven’t you just contradicted your earlier assertion
cancer IS age related Brucy ??
I put it to you that cancer is endemic to the human race ??
And is exacerbated by over crowding amongst other things ??
Donkeyman! :+1::thinking::thinking::+1:

@Donkeyman Do you think its got anything to do with or immune system and additives put in food etc like when we were young if you dropped a sweet on floor you gave it quick rub and ate it not now everything is much more surgically clean tablets or pills for sniffles or a headache not the same…
lifestyle has completely changed I think its got alot to do with it

Hardly contradicts it Assman, the median age for cancer diagnosis is 66, a few people passing on defective genes is hardly likely to change that in the short term but what the long term effect is I don’t know.

With cancer rates for under 20s at 0.02% and for the over 60s at 1% that isn’t likely to change much.

As for whether cancer is endemic I guess that is a finding from the University of the Bleeding Obvious as regards any reproducing organism whether human or not. Mutation is an essential ingredient of evolution.

I wonder how many people with microwave ovens have ever considered they might leak?

2 Likes

Not me…thanks for planting that radioactive seed in my mind now! :astonished:

1 Like

BHP used to lend its employees a detector specifically for the purpose of detecting leaks from microwave ovens.

It is a bit of a furphy really, I don’t think any one found their microwave leaked radiation to any degree, they would have to be very severely damaged to do so and any leakage is subject to the inverse square law.

From memory I think the wavelength used in microwaves is just over 12cm (2.4Ghz ish), in fact the first indication that it was leaking badly would be a disruption to your WiFi.

Ohh well that is mildly reassuring…:thinking: So next time my WiFi goes all blinky and buffering, I should check my microwave? :joy:

1 Like

I found one of mine had a slight leak by holding my mobile phone around the door seal when it was churning away. A thorough solvent clean of the door seal and all was well again. That old Sanyo is at least 25yrs old and although used daily, is still working well👍

If the WiFi problem stops when your microwave does “Bing” then it is possible, I guess.

I’m surprised that nobody has commented that the headline is based upon supposition after studying just 60 crabs and those being far away (south of Edinburgh) in an area with no offshore wind farms nearby.
As per usual it’s all “could” and “if”.
I’m all for having realistic concerns about the detrimental effects of such things upon wildlife, but if they are to be believed they should at least try to be as honest as possible rather than spout flawed research.
The mention of screened cables above and nobody knowing whether the undersea cables that will be used are going to be screened alone for example could (that word again) make all the difference.

1 Like

@Zaphod , But the fact remains that our bodies(particularly in
cities), ARE now bathed in UHF and vhf radio waves, whereas
20yrs ago they weren’t?? any radiation that reached the planet
from space was deflected or absorbed by 25 MLS of atmosphere
and gravity fields !!
Now we have by passed that protection by creating our own
radiation at sea level??
I agree that in the case of the crabs it could be because the cables are slightly warmer than their immediate environment
which attracts the crabs to the cables and maybe induces a
form of inactivity in the creatures ??
Donkeyman! :thinking::thinking:

We’ve been bathed in various radio waves for years and nobody’s turned green or grown two heads yet.
Apart from me of course and I created that myself.
:grin:
As I said earlier: when there is proper research that backs up what is being claimed it stands a chance of being accepted but until then it is just theorizing.
This article helps explain some differences in the electromagnetic spectrum and rays.
https://www.nasa.gov/analogs/nsrl/why-space-radiation-matters

I found one of mine had a slight leak by holding my mobile phone around the door seal when it was churning away.

Can you explain that a bit more please, LD?
What happened to your phone to indicate a microwave leak? :thinking: