Britain in crisis?

The NHS is in a dreadful mess and I can’t understand why GPs are hardly working. I have a history of basal cell carcinoma. Last week I noticed a red mark on my chest (not boob) which looked like someone had stubbed a fag out on me. It is just like a burn to be honest but I haven’t burned myself.

Today I had to go for blood tests so asked if I could see a GP about this. Well, the receptionist looked at me like I was mad! She said “phone or face to face?” I said I needed examining so face to face please. I also told her briefly of that part of my history. She said 16th January, 12 days time. I said I needed a more urgent appointment and she said there was absolutely nothing before then. I said that I wasn’t happy with that so she said if I ring in at 8am tomorrow I MIGHT get an appt with a paramedic! Absolutely hopeless.

An elderly man near us fell over outside. People went to help and rang for an ambulance because he is 84 and very frail indeed. They told them he is laying outside in the cold and they don’t know what caused him to fall. They were told it could be 36 hours wait for an ambulance! They suggested someone took him by car the 30 mile road trip which was very bad advice as he was in agony and by the time they got to hospital his neck was broken. He is in hospital awaiting surgery.

That’s awful Rose. Anyone who falls should not be moved in case it makes things worse, but what can people do in such a dreadful situation.

I do hope your skin complaint is nothing to worry about once you eventually get seen.

2 Likes

Yes but, the French do dispute with far more Junoesque.

Every one wants a bit of Blighty.

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2Fworld-news%2F2023%2F01%2F18%2Femmanuel-macron-hides-spain-eve-mass-strike-set-cripple-france%2F

Emmanuel Macron ‘hides’ in Spain on eve of mass strike set to cripple France

I think you need to check the title of this thread. You’ve picked the wrong country (again).

I think there is no point in a Britain in crisis, not since everything has been globalized, maybe the point of that post is for balance? Can’t speak for anyone else though but, for context sake, the big picture that has been created needs consideration when deciding if it’s just the local situation that is in crisis

2 Likes

It is absolutely fair to place any event / series of events in their current context. But that would require also making specific comparisons - for example: setting the key factors that make up the UK crisis and setting them against similar factors (or lack of factors) across a broad range of similar economies. In other words, making fair comparisons.
That is not what was being done with the post about Macron. The purpose of that post was (1) distract from the serious issues in the UK, (2) take a dig at one specific country. So absolutely not about placing the UK crisis in the context of what’s happening across other similar economies.

But, to get that perspective is impossible, with the global media all playing their own ends, all one can probably do is look for the similarities that crop up here and there that domestic media publish, then, try to join the dots.
It ain’t my fault I’m stupid!!!

1 Like

everything it would seem is in decline or deteriorating , yes gone to pot . The NHS & care, police, highways ,housing ,job satisfaction , cost of living.
I put a lot of this blame on Boris and the conservative government , Brexit & covid .
I voted to remain and I am still of that opinion.

2 Likes

I think the start of the decline pre-dated that era Ripple and Brexit, Covid etc were just symptomatic

I don’t think one need conduct such a fulsome, global analysis. It would be fair to provide a few examples across a few similar economies. But highlighting one incident in one country is nothing other than attempting to distract from the real problems in the UK. And they are real problems and they have been building every since the tories came to power in 2010.

1 Like

Yep, I agree with you there Ripple, but I also agree with Spitty when he suggests that this is more a ‘Global’ issue and pre dates Boris or Brexit. When you go global…If one goes…we all go.
If a butterfly flaps it’s wings in China, it causes a tornado here…(you get the idea)…Probably because all our shops are filled with Chinese goods.

You’re just bias Strathy…

Things started going tits up here after the second world war.
Perhaps we batted for the wrong side.

I understand it’s even worse in many parts of Europe!

Support for leaving the EU has dropped significantly, and sometimes dramatically, in member states across the bloc in the wake of the UK’s Brexit, according to data from a major pan-European survey.

led by City, University of London and conducted in 30 European nations every two years since 2001, found respondents were less likely to vote leave in every EU member state for which data was available.

The largest decline in leave support was in Finland, where 28.6% of respondents who declared which way they would vote in a Brexit-style referendum answered leave in 2016-2017, against only 15.4% in 2020-2022.

I don’t blame them after seeing what’s happened to the U.K. since leaving the EU.

3 Likes

There has been some what of a catastrophic collapse since the Tories came to power over on a board, what’s happening globally.

I take the point although the U.K. is a island it can’t isolate itself from the global downturn.

1 Like