Britain in crisis?

I was just reading about the massive strike wave in Australia too so you should look to your own situation …its far from perfect

1 Like

True summer, but, they have a point, we, technically kick started the Global! :icon_wink:

Rubbish!

2 Likes

That is your opinion and you are welcome to it of course.

Just don’t rubbish mine!

So we are responsible for Putins war and Covid too?..sorry if my opinion upsets you but I really do think its rubbish to think we started a global recession. I appreciate and respect your opinions I just happen to think its wrong this time

1 Like

Not the recession, the global in general, it was a few years ago granted but, fundamental to the story.

no ; no summer they’re are strike waves but when the surfers get a really big swell they call it a strike wave right??

1 Like

you see summer spitty is a fundamentalist and they are usually spot on all the time?

What is true is that the entire world is suffering from high inflation due to the post-pandemic supply problems and from energy crisis due to the war in Ukraine. What is not true is:
Mass strikes in Europe - simply not the case. Here in France the government did things like give health sector staff a pay rise during the pandemic in recognition of their extra efforts, /rather than, say, just clapping.
Energy prices are not soaring here in France. This year they went up by 4%. In fact my electricity prices will come down this winter as I’ve signed to a scheme that gives me about a 15% or more discount for the majority of days in return accepting very high prices on about 20 ‘red’ days that are set when demand is likely to be very high. Suits me as my heating is primarily by wood burner.
And what is definitely true is that 12 years of austerity, an inefficient privatised energy system, massive mis-spending during the pandemic, insane Truss economic actions and Brexit have added to the problems the UK is experiencing. Which are all ‘our fault’.

2 Likes

who’s fault ?? did I miss a line or two??

By which I meant self-inflicted rather than the impact of external issues.

This has been a long time in the making, and willingly or unwittingly all have been complicit.

How far back do you want to go? 1066? Earlier? Later?

Doesn’t matter how far, it’s one story not a Compendium1

will history repeat itself

due to the unions and strike actions

the coal mines got closed down
our car industry closed down
our ship building closed down
our steel works closed down

will the same happen to
our postal service
our national health
our railways

striking is not the answer and remember Union bosses still get paid when the workers they represent don’t. Won’t workers ever learn unions are out to ruin the country and succeeding

3 Likes

I’m not certain that strikes necessarily lead to closures. Remember France’s 1970’s and 80’s car industry strikes? And now Renault, Citroen and Peugeot all thrive and export to the UK. Closures were primarily a political decision and partly due to poor management, rather than simply the fault of excessive strikes.

2 Likes

Going global means that if a tree falls down in a forest at the other side of the world, does it make a sound? Going global means ‘yes it does’ we have made the UK reliant on other countries for electricity, gas, steel, ships, coal, cars, and food. We have allowed the population in the UK to run out of control, putting pressure on services, utilities, roads, hospitals and schools to name just a few. The economy is in so much trouble because anybody with a smidgen of book keeping knowledge, will tell you that if there is more going out than coming in you are heading for bankruptcy, just look at the national debt…We are all living on credit and have accumulated huge debts that are impossible to ever pay of. And the government are still spending recklessly. In fact, the UK is haemorrhaging money and will never recover with such an incompetent government. It’s time that the people of this country took control, and the only glimmer of hope is that if more people come out on strike, break down the system, and start again. There will be many casualties along the way, but it’s the only way in my opinion…Unless anyone can think of an alternative?
The National Debt…
Main points. UK general government gross debt was £2,436.7 billion at the end of Quarter 2 (Apr to June) 2022, equivalent to 101.9% of gross domestic product (GDP). UK general government deficit (or net borrowing) was £43.9 billion in Quarter 2 2022, equivalent to 7.2% of GDP.28 Oct 2022

All true Foxy. But there are plenty of other countries (wealthy ones too) which are proportionally way more in debt than the UK.

Economic theory is largely a mystery to me, but one thing I’m pretty sure of is that to grow a market, which is seen as a good thing, one needs more people to go out and buy things. IMHO, this is why there is very little interest in decreasing population locally or globally, despite the somewhat obvious potential environmental problems that this might create.

It’s all a very strange set of pyramids that interact.

1 Like

It’s seems like some sort of Ponzi scheme.