Britain Green By 2030

So Boris wants to cut emissions 68% by 2030 to save the planet by preventing climate change…

[I]Meeting the UK’s world-leading climate change target will be a “colossal challenge”, a government spending watchdog has warned.

The National Audit Office says it will affect the way we work, travel, heat our homes - even how much meat we eat.

In a report it says the cost of cutting CO2 is highly uncertain, but the cost of allowing temperatures to rise would probably be greater.

The PM has vowed to cut emissions by 68% by 2030 based on 1990 levels.[/I]

This is the amount that Britain will affect the world…Shouldn’t Boris be looking after the UK rather than putting obstacles in the way, especially when it will have virtually no effect whatsoever and create poverty and unemployment.

1 Like

Britain has always been green, regardless of the demise of Fossil fuel, it will be the same viewed from a glorified Milk Float.

Brilliant Foxy. That’s how much we affect the rest of the World in most other matters too. I hate to think where we are going to borrow all the money to do all this. Pie in the sky doesn’t cover it.

Yes indeed. A fool and our money is easily parted!

Of course, in ten years’ time Boris might not still be here.
We may have somehow managed to elect someone more down to earth, although HS2 will still be being built of course!

You have to extrapolate that 1% to all the second hand emissions we generate in importing from China… so each of the western countries on the list have a share of the blame for Chinese emissions.

The exception being the US which is the big culprit generating internal emissions and Biden should help reduce their carbon footprint.

In other words, inconveniencing ourselves at great expense is going to make a negligible effect on the planet as a whole, but on the other hand will make PC snowflakes feel much happier with themselves. :roll:

We import pollution because of our entitlement culture. That entitlement = our lifestyle taking for granted where everything we buy is manufactured or where inputs are sourced. So we are all the “snowflakes”. The supply chains feeding into our country (and others like us) are destroying the planet.

NB I’m not making a moral judgement by what I say. Just stating a fact. There isn’t much we can do to change the way we live. The efforts re emissions etc are symbolic political gestures. It would take hundreds of years to reverse the damage. (not scientific fact just my guesstimate)

Seems the UK produces 1% of the problem yet is trying to shoulder 90% of the solution, completely bonkers if you ask me. :shock:

Not if we’re paid for it … developing & exporting environmentally friendly technologies.

I’m not a snowflake.

I quite enjoyed destroying the planet when I drove around in my diesel car.
Strangely enough, whenever I went out in it the sky never fell down.

I’m all for doing our bit saving the planet, but until the major world polluters start to see the light we are merely p*****g in the wind. Regarding exporting the tech and creating a few jobs then I’m also for that too, but to see the rest of our country hamstrung by the “green revolution” as a price for that, merely for political grandstanding, I would argue that that is not much of a deal!

1 Like

Spot on Barry…:023:

1 Like

Not destroying it Annie, but perhaps just making it more uncomfortable for us wusses in the developed world.
Nature has a way of correcting things though.

1 Like

Yes you’re right Barry, the few jobs that will be produced by the green revolution will not offset the amount of jobs lost.
Not to mention the amount of poverty created in the people who cannot afford to keep up with the latest technology.

Hi

The British disease.

We are a minor player in the World now.

We should accept that and spend our money on looking after our own.

We have spent a fortune on two aircraft carriers which will last less than an hour if push comes to shove.

A pure vanity project.

Money which would have been much better spent on a fleet of inshore ships stopping the illegals coming here and protecting our Fisheries.

Well said Swims.

Exactly.

Aircraft carriers’ sole purpose is power projection away from our shores. The Falklands war was a prime example of when they were really needed (just before our government scrapped them!), but such a situation is unlikely to happen again now that we have based a sufficiently strong air and land component on those islands for their effective defence. Other overseas territories are either a lot closer (eg, Gibraltar) or highly unlikely to be attacked by a foreign power.

All we need now is an efficient and effective force to protect our homeland and, of course, its waters. Aircraft carriers are surplus to requirements. The RAF is capable of home defence if push comes to shove and can be an effective force to any distance necessary for our own defence. The Army, having now been decimated, is probably still sufficient to defend us against any attack on our shores.

We must accept that we are no longer a world power capable of extending our assets to far-flung places. The defence of our island is all we should concern ourselves with now. As long as we have the means to do that effectively, we need fear no enemy incursion including into our legal sea territories. As you say, we need to ensure an effective force of ships to defend our North Sea area.

Like getting rid of humans by making the planet inhospitable for us?

Absolutely spot on both of you.

I was talking to an ex-Toyota salesman this morning about “going electric” and he told me that Toyota, Birmingham has 2 cars in at the moment because the battery packs have failed. (The cars are about 4yrs old.) The cost of replacing the packs are far more than the cars are worth so, the insurance companies have written them off.