Brit expats face homeless 'nightmare' as Brexit leaves Greek retirement dream in tatters

"Nobody really understood what would happen (at the time of the Referendum). It wasn’t set out in black and white.

“It is a nightmare.”

For much of the past three and a half decades Karen and Colin have been enjoying the benefits of freedom of movement, which allow residents of EU member states to travel without friction across the bloc.

1 Like

It was the thought of what might happen if anything happened to the UK’s status that stopped us as a married couple from considering a home right down in Aquitaine, along with other friends gathered on our way through life, one of whom sold up and moved back here just before C-19 ravaged the world.

1 Like

Its a terrible shame, isn’t it…but at least your friends moved back before they were forced to :frowning:

Yes they were lucky and just squeezed the sale through before it would have been too late. Others though have not been so lucky, but fortunately, they have been managing reasonably well thanks to their French neighbours and local traders.

It’s a pity that they didn’t take up residency before ploughing so much money and energy into building their dream in Crete. It’s a pity our own government doesn’t follow the same strict rules with people coming here.

3 Likes

Surely they must have known the residency requirements? They sound like AirBnB residents spending less than six months of the year there, the sort of people who take up local homes, force up real estate prices and generally make life difficult for local residents. Exactly the sort of people you don’t want, Send them back, they can get a job driving a truck.

Boo Hoo… Serves them right.

3 Likes

In this country if you got loads of money even dirty money then you are welcome to come to London and buy expensive property, oh and not forgetting bung a few quid to the Tory party, thanks.:smiley::smiley:

Loads of Brits who have been living under the radar in Spain have been returning to the U.K. .
I suppose they will add to the benefits and housing problem .

It is a nightmare for us all.

And I think most of those that voted brexit did it to protect our (Britain’s) borders. … something else that should have been set out in black and white.

2 Likes

Yes I think so too made no difference has it it’s a total Fubar.

If people want and go to live in a foreign country then they should put up with the conditions they wish to live under. If the want to come back to the UK they should be conidered as foreigners and have to meet the UK immigration requirements first.

2 Likes

I don’t think they can be regarded as foreigners though, RS, if the UK is their birthplace. I see where you are coming from though…

That’s ridiculous, a British citizen is a British citizen. There are many people on this forum who have lived overseas and returned to the UK; are you saying they should have been kept out?

What I am saying Bruce if they choose to live in a foreign country then that is their decision. I suspect many want to come back because of our free national health service and free handouts they don’t get abroad.
If you sell a car you don’t expect to get it back because you miss it, same thing

1 Like

While in the EU they did get free healthcare

1 Like

Only if they have become nationals in their adopted country Bruce…

Why on earth would they want to return to the UK in that situation?

They should go through check first such as their financial position so they don’t scrounge off the state- have a place to go to not council owned-and be able to support themselves. Not too much to ask, Remember it was their choice to live abroad.
If I was given my life again I too would move to Australia but it is too late now so as to get rid of this class destinction and be recognised for what you are not who you are.

Because it gets too hot for them or the locals become aggressive…
:axe:

If they have paid their dues and many have why should they not come back ?
They have more rights those who come over in dinghies .