Bringing back the Dodo

1 Like

The Dodo sounds more sensible than the other two. I’d love to see a live Dodo.
My Mauricion baby Dodo.

2 Likes

I don’t understand why they are bothering, there are hundreds in the House of Lords

6 Likes

That heading sure fooled me. I was expecting old Compo Corbyn.

1 Like

Harmless to humans, wiped out. It could happen again.

Mmmm, I’m not sure, it’s a lot of money and research, wouldn’t it be better spent on saving animals that aren’t extinct but soon might be?

Perhaps the Dodo does better service as the image of what we lose if we don’t protect endangered species

Anyway, it won’t be a real Dodo, they’re gone for ever. It will just be a mutant bird with artificially created Dodo genome grafted into another species egg. And with nothing to compare it to, how will they know how successful they’ve been?

And isn’t it a bit cruel? The process is bound to involve using live birds and creating doomed and unsuccessful embryos

And if they finally do produce a living bird, it still won’t be a Dodo because it will have no parents or flock to teach it how to be a Dodo.

It will be lonely and dependent on human beings

I can’t see the point

3 Likes

I thought Jacob Rees Moggs ……

2 Likes

The last paragrah of the article sums up the whole experiment.

Blockquote

While we don’t know everything about the dodo, it’s generally understood that the bird wasn’t as dumb as its reputation suggests. It remains to be seen if Colossal—and the CIA—can recreate the true mind of the dodo bird, or just the body.

1 Like

Well, the thing is, how will they know? With no living Dodo to compare it to?

I don’t think you can recreate things. It would be a mutant creature that looked like a dodo but wasn’t one

Agree, maybe it should remain extinct.

i think its a great project I would like to see a live Dodo , a Woolly Mammoth and a Tasmanian Tiger before I die .

Fascinating reading! Thanks for posting the article, @Cinderella

They raise this question in the article.

Their answer is that working with the dodo also gives more information about how to save other avian species from extinction.

Apparently they are delicious, which was why they became extinct in the first place.

1 Like

Loss of habitat probably,not much of a mystery.

Another article on the Dodo. This one has more information on the size of the investment for this so far - $225M. This article has less answers as to why this is being invested in and more criticism about why so much money is being invested in this instead of other projects with living birds.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/31/world/dodo-bring-back-from-extinction-colossal-scn/index.html

No, the Dado’s day is done and dusted, talking of dust, that’s just what they gathered, walls should just be plain plastered finished, no decorative rails of any kind!!!

3 Likes

Guessed someone would make rejoinder with that quip.

:grinning:

Spend the money on cancer and other deadly diseases instead of researching ways to bring back the Dodo etc.

Or bring back the extinct common sense

2 Likes