Brexit: PM to unveil plans to scrap parts of NI Protocol agreed with EU

@wendeey ,l think you got it the wrong way round Wendee ?
The EU won’t put tariffs on their own goods,nor will we put tariffs on
our own goods ???
The tariff applying country puts tariffs on the imports it imports ??
Or it doesn’t import at all !
However it is all BS as you say!
Donkeyman! :+1::grin::+1:

I agree with many of the points made above.
The EU are not our friends and are upset that we have left their empire. They continue to impose restrictions on what we can do if we wish to continue to deal with them. Personally, I don’t agree with their attempts to continue to control us. We are an independent country now.

I sincerely hope that we can fully remove ourselves (including N Ireland) from their control, and should do this as soon as possible. I don’t believe that we need them.

There are distinct signs that they are only bluffing anyway. For example, I hear that they are trying to persuade us to rejoin their satellite navigation programme - if we follow their rules. Why should we? I believe that they are doing that because they are beginning to realise that when we were part of the project, we played a leading part. I assume that we did that because we had the best brains. Now they want us back because they’re having problems!

For God’s sake, leave this corrupt organisation completely and while we’re at it take back our North Sea resources which they continue to steal.

Which just proves the point that you have absolutely no idea of the situation regarding the EU, which isn’t the good guy in all this. The thing is that our government is trying to preserve the fragile peace in Northern Ireland, whereas the EU are just using the NI protocol as a stick to beat us with, as is their MO.

We were sold the Common Market initially which seemed a good idea, but that metamorphosed into the EU, which is a political union of the countries and it is that that we left, not Europe. Two completely different things…

Just as a comparison it is maybe worth considering how you would feel about being governed by China say, just because you wanted to trade with it, which is how we were with the EU and why we wanted to leave. They had much too much control of our lives and very rarely to our benefit.

Anyway, as you are so ignorant of our politics it does amaze me why you even bother commenting, but to be so ignorant as to paint us as Nazis because we wish to extracate ourselves from a club to which we no longer wish to be a part of is really beyond the pale.

Seems to me that you seem to have an axe to grind, but for the life of me I don’t know why you dislike us so much… :thinking:

@JBR , Whilst l agree with your sentiments JB, I think you overplay your
estimate of our intelligence ??
If we were clever we would never have made the mistakes we have in
the last two centuries, given that it is the so called elites that have been
leading us in these times ??
Donkeyman! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Oh yeah I’ve just read it back, the point I was trying to make is just ignore it all, they’re both flexing their muscles at the moment the way they did the whole way through the Brexit debacle. Calling each other’s bluff.

And that’s the way normal negotiations go.

@wendeey , sokay Wendee, no problemo !
Donkeyman! :+1::+1:

1 Like

Mr Coveney was a guest on BBC Radio 4’s Today programme with presenter Amol Rajan when he was asked to comment on the UK Government’s recent steps to allow ministers to unilaterally alter aspects of the divisive Northern Ireland Protocol. The Irish Foreign Minister sides with the EU in the row and voices his strong opposition to the planned Brexit bill but in practice was forced to admit that Boris Johnson’s proposed solution for a different checking regime with a “red” and “green” lane for different goods was a workable solution to the impasse.

1 Like

It doesn’t really matter whether I have any idea about the situation with the EU or the NI protocol, an agreement is an agreement, it is obvious that you have no idea how Britain is viewed by outsiders.

Britain is nobody’s friend, it lost Australia’s trust during WWII when, among many other things, that pig Churchill said, “Don’t worry about Australia we can get it back after the war”. Most Australians still have a soft spot for Britain but it compounded distrust by abandoning trade with Australia when it joined the EU.

As can be seen on this forum there is no appreciation for the aid almost freely given by the USA during WWII merely a bitterness that they had to pay anything at all.

Now Britain has alienated Europe, its biggest trading partner, it freely joined the EU and voted “Yes” in the 1975 referendum, it was a member of the European Parliament, it got concessions offered to no other countries yet it whinged and whinged about it for decades until eventually deciding to leave.

It finally signed an agreement with the EU over leaving and now wants to renege on that agreement, It doesn’t matter if the EU played hardball, an agreement is an agreement. Your government signed it but now threatens to walk away. It had the opportunity to walk away many times during negotiations but didn’t.

You can whinge all you like and say how unfair ir is but your government agreed to it. This is what the world sees.

1 Like

Hi

You have point.

Our Government are behaving as though we are a major player big enough to bully others.

We no longer have an empire, we are a bit player.

1 Like

Is that why Australia signed up a free trade agreement with the UK then ?

Your talking out of your arse again

1 Like

Protocols aren’t legally binding anyway.

The term protocol, in the context of international law refers to the forms of ceremony and etiquette observed by diplomats and heads of state . A protocol has similar legal characteristics as a treaty. However, protocol is an agreement of a less formal nature than a treaty or convention.

1 Like

And labour shoots itself in the foot again.

Watch those polls and by-elections in Wakefield and Tiverton, they are both Brexit Leave constituencies

Oh come on! Grow up. What are you? 5 years old?

Australia has FTAs (16) with many countries bigger and smaller than the UK and is negotiating about 7 others.

The FTA with the UK is one of three not yet in force.

https://www.dfat.gov.au/trade/agreements/trade-agreements

Every FTA comes into force over time - including ours, if Australia hated the UK so much they wouldn’t have signed up for it. The Queen, your head of state sends her regards by the way as does Prince Charles, the head of the Commonwealth which incidentally your country is still part of.

Who said Australia hated the UK? Australia will trade with anyone where there is money to be made. What planet do you live on? Good luck with puberty when it arrives.

1 Like

Hi

Well labour have shot themselves if they do want to rejoin.

Not that it makes any difference to me, I wasn’t going to vote Labour as Corbyn is still lying in wait.

1 Like

You did.

Britain is nobody’s friend

^^ thats what you said, and insulted Churchill (calling him a pig - who we owe so much for because of his massive contribution in the Second World War).

Now Britain has alienated Europe, its biggest trading partner

Europe is not Britains biggest trading partner - the rest of the world is and the USA on its own beats all the EU hands down - get your facts right.

it freely joined the EU and voted “Yes” in the 1975 referendum, it was a member of the European Parliament,

We also didn’t join the EU freely in 1975, we joined the Common Market, back then the EU didn’t exist - get your facts right. Also, we never had a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty which signed us up to the EU because Blair did it behind our backs. Again, get your facts right

You can whinge all you like and say how unfair ir is but your government agreed to it. This is what the world sees.

Replace the word “world” with BBC, Sky News, Channel 4, Channel 5, remainers and the Labour Party. Anyone with a brain can figure out where the law stands on the UK deciding to unilaterally change a protocol - you just. need to read it.

Try getting facts right Bruce then I might take you seriously.

2 Likes

And where is anything that says Australia hates Britain in all that verbage? You’re just waffling. Pity you didn’t quote the whole para:

1 Like

I’m not sure whether he intentionally talks out of his arse, but I am sure that he is anti-British. In fact, that’s probably what drove him to emigrate to Australia!
Never mind. It sometimes seems that everyone in the world is anti-British, including may of our own people (eg, the BBC).
So we’re on our own… but not for the first time in history!

Well I think it’s pretty clear that you do.

1 Like