Brexit benefits - where are they?

I think that is called cutting off your nose to spite your face and possibly the worst ever reason for Brexit.

Whether the UK left or stayed in the EU is of no consequence to me but it will affect my nieces and nephews.

It could not have been foreseen but Brexit occurred at the worst possible time - just prior to a pandemic and another European war which is why Britain will suffer more than it’s neighbours.

What the UK did have control over was the farcical years they actually spend leaving which, while it did provide the rest of the world with some comic relief, also brought into sharp focus the inadequacies of their elected leaders.

Bt definition the long term effects won’t be known for years but the signs are not good for its citizens.

4 Likes

Hasn’t every generation had to pay for something caused by their predecessors?
Like our parents had to pay after World War 2 to rebuild Britain.

Everyone has suffered along the way…most of our generation lived through reoccurring national strikes, a three day week, being without electricity and heat. The Cuban Crisis, The Cold War, living in fear of being hit with Russian nuclear missiles.

Nothing changes…

6 Likes

The difference is we did this to ourselves .

6 Likes

Not really.

The difference is that “they”, the Brexiters, did it to “us” the Remainers and condemned the next generation to harder, more diminished lives

I’m not part of any “we” that did this to our country :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

The blame is entirely with those who supported Brexit and we shouldn’t forget that

6 Likes

Yes, they have but that doesn’t make it right, does it? Or what our predecessors did right?

And when it was a deliberate decision like Brexit it doesn’t mean this generation shouldn’t lay the blame firmly where it belongs

And remember what those predecessors with contempt and hate as they try to put things right

What an awful legacy

2 Likes

I have to say that this demonstrates exactly what is wrong with Britain and has been since Thatcher tore the society apart with her divisive policies. This “you” and “us” attitude seems to pervade the British psyche .

I am not picking on Maree because the Brexiteers have exactly the same attitude talking about “remoaners” etc but I can’t see how the country can ever be united while this attitude remains and the country is basically split down the middle into warring camps. The elected halfwits like David Cameron and his useless cronies before and after can shoulder all the blame for placing political expediency before well crafted policy.

It is very sad.

3 Likes

What I’ve noticed in recent months are a real reduction in the number of brexiters jumping into these posts attempting to defend (the indefensible) the project. As there doesn’t seem to be much chance on the horizon of this being reversed it really is time for brexiters to get out and reassure remainers that it was/is a good thing , it can work and we can look forward to those sunny uplands.

I for one need a greater benefit than “sticking it to Johnny foreigner” sadly there doesn’t appear to be any.

3 Likes

I don’t think the country can ever be united?

We don’t want the same things or have the same beliefs, principles or aims and objectives
:woman_shrugging:

There’s no doubt the Brexit vote polarised people, and I think that seeped through to other issues too

Nobody sees both sides and tries to compromise any more, you’re either

Rah! Rah!
Team A

or

Rah! Rah! Team B

But In some ways I think it’s a good thing and defined what people are and what they believe

And I don’t want to be united with Brexiters

I voted for Brexit and would again if we had another referendum. I don’t ‘jump in’ to the anti-brexit posts because I can’t see the point of trying to explain my reasons for voting the way I did to those who seem to want to shout down opposing viewpoints.

4 Likes

@Baxter18 , l see you have not replied to my earlier comments Baxter ?
Why?
One thing l have noticed, is that when Boris won his resounding election
victory, the remain camp immediately went into lock down and silence
reigned completely both in parliament,and in this forum untill very recently !
I thought that this victory had finally shown the remainers the error of their
ways ? How wrong l was ? In recent months l have noticed a marked increase
in new members signing in to the forum, and bit by bit,anti Brexit posts have
started once again using all the non related bad news which envelopes the
world at the moment as ammunition !
These people either have no idea how destructive these actions are, or just
don’t care as long as their own narrow interests are being served in some
way, such as having personal interests in an EU oriented business or even
just that there is a bit of extra paper work involved in their own or their
children’s travel arrangements etc ?
I say again, GET OVER IT ! :-1::worried::-1:

3 Likes

Oh Dear!

Just spotted this topic & realised that it’s just another topic for the dummy throwers to spit their venom Brexitwards!

I bet there has been quite a few Fora about Brexit.

Anyone remember that TV fun program, where you could be penalised, several points, for repetition?

I apologise, profusely, for all that the Remainers feel that they have lost.

There, does that do it?

Or would you like me to go through the benefits I’ve had, I’ve been asked to do that about 8 times & nobody ever responds to my answers!

3 Likes

@Tedc , Xactly that Ted ??:worried::worried::worried:

I understand your point. We were all entitled, in fact encouraged, to vote one way or another and we did according to our views, standards, history, backgrounds and nobody should shout you down. I respect that you tried to explain and got shouted down so understandably withdrew.

1 Like

I’d happily respond to the benefits you’ve experienced since Brexit. I won’t argue with them but simply note them.

We need to hear about the benefits so that we can all forward to the bright side

3 Likes

Australians reserve that for their footie teams. Most people support two teams, their own and whoever is playing Manly.

1 Like

Thank you, Baxter, but can I ask you just to trawl through the Brexit Fora archives.

I’m sure that you will find every argument documented there!

I’m breaking the loop, for my own sanity!

2 Likes

You talk as if there are fights on the streets and people are in shops, pubs and other public places arguing about voting for Brexit. I never hear anyone in real life talking about Brexit. Only on here!!
The vote was taken and a decision was made. Whatever you say… ‘Tis done…

8 Likes

Can we have a whip round to fund emigration to the EU for those who must be part of it?

1 Like

@Tedc , Yeah! Good idea Ted !
Then the minority can vacate and there will be housing for all and peace
will reign again !! :+1::grin::+1:

1 Like

Bliss!

How about recreating the £10 emigration tickets?

1 Like